1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 18th March 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

Pinxsterhuis2015 Coping with chronic fatigue syndrome: a review and synthesis of qualitative studies

Discussion in 'Psychosomatic research - ME/CFS and Long Covid' started by Dolphin, Nov 3, 2017.

1. Dolphin

Dolphin Senior Member (Voting Rights)

http://dx.doi.org/10.1080/21641846.2015.1035519

Coping with chronic fatigue syndrome: a review and synthesis of qualitative studies

Fatigue: Biomedicine, Health & Behavior, 2015
    Vol. 3, No. 3, 173–188,

Irma Pinxsterhuisa,b*, Elin B. Stranda and Unni Sveenc,d a

Division of Medicine, Oslo University Hospital, P.O. Box 4959 Nydalen, 0424 Oslo, Norway; bFaculty of Medicine, University of Oslo, Oslo, Norway; cDepartment of Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation, Oslo University Hospital, P.O. Box 4956 Nydalen, 0424 Oslo, Norway; dDepartment of Occupational Therapy, Prosthetics and Orthotics, Oslo and Akershus University College of Applied Sciences, Oslo, Norway

(Received 8 December 2014; accepted 25 March 2015)

Background:

Interventions that potentially improve coping with chronic fatigue syndrome (CFS) are important for patients, clinicians, and researchers.

Purpose:

To identify factors experienced by patients to promote coping with CFS and to provide recommendations for adequate interventions in this patient group.

Methods:

A systematic review of qualitative studies was performed.

Structured searches were conducted in major scientific databases.

Two reviewers independently performed the study selection and assessment.

Meta-ethnography was applied to review and synthesise the studies.

The analysis provided key concepts that could be aggregated using second-order interpretations.

Results:

Fifteen studies were included.

Findings suggested that coping strategies, including activity management and the use of cognitive and emotional strategies, and psychological processes, such as acceptance and the rebuilding of identities and lives, may promote coping with CFS.

The use of adequate coping strategies appeared to be facilitated by progress in these psychological processes.

Coping appeared to be facilitated mainly by self-management, occasionally complemented by treatments and social support.

Conclusions:

Interventions focusing on coping may include the use of adequate coping strategies and take into account progress in psychological processes, which may fluctuate over time.

Interventions may be complemented by self-management, other types of treatments, and social support.

Keywords: chronic fatigue syndrome; coping; qualitative research; meta-analysis; review

Hutan, Esther12, barbc and 1 other person like this.
  2. Dolphin

I found this to be a sympathetic article. Apart from a few small quibbles (which might be due to reviewers' comments), I think I would be happy enough for this to be shared with professionals.

Esther12 likes this.
  3. Dolphin

Points I'm not fully convinced about:

Esther12 and Valentijn like this.