1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 8th April 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

Primary mitochondrial disease as a rare cause of unclear breathlessness and distinctive performance degradation – a case report 2023 Ewert et al

Discussion in 'Other health news and research' started by Andy, Mar 30, 2023.

1. Andy

Andy Committee Member

Abstract

Background
    Primary muscular disorders (metabolic myopathies, including mitochondrial disorders) are a rare cause of dyspnea. We report a case of dyspnea caused by a mitochondrial disorder with a pattern of clinical findings that can be classified in the known pathologies of mitochondrial deletion syndrome.

Case presentation
    The patient presented to us at 29 years of age, having had tachycardia, dyspnea, and functional impairment since childhood. She had been diagnosed with bronchial asthma and mild left ventricular hypertrophy and treated accordingly, but her symptoms had worsened. After more than 20 years of progressive physical and social limitations was a mitochondrial disease suspected in the exercise testing. We performed cardiopulmonary exercise testing (CPET) with right heart catheterization showed typical signs of mitochondrial myopathy. Genetic testing confirmed the presence of a ~ 13 kb deletion in mitochondrial DNA from the muscle. The patient was treated with dietary supplements for 1 year. In the course of time, the patient gave birth to a healthy child, which is developing normally.

Conclusion
    CPET and lung function data over 5 years demonstrated stable disease. We conclude that CPET and lung function analysis should be used consistently to evaluate the cause of dyspnea and for long-term observation.

Open access, https://bmcpulmmed.biomedcentral.com/articles/10.1186/s12890-023-02391-x

2. RedFox

RedFox Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Wow, she lost 13kb of her mtDNA; a healthy person has 16kb. I can't believe that's survivable. If before I saw this article, you asked me what would happen to someone who didn't inherit 80% of their mitochondrial DNA, I would have said they wouldn't even be born. How is this possible?

3. SNT Gatchaman

SNT Gatchaman Senior Member (Voting Rights)

From Mitochondria and Diseases (ScienceDirect)

alktipping, Peter Trewhitt and Trish like this.
  4. RedFox

RedFox Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Oh, so this person had the deletion in only 36% of her cells?

Peter Trewhitt likes this.