1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 18th March 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

Proteomic Investigation in Plasma from Women with Fibromyalgia in Response to a 15-wk Resistance Exercise Intervention, 2022, Wahlen et al

Discussion in ''Conditions related to ME/CFS' news and research' started by Andy, Jan 15, 2022.

1. Andy

Andy Committee Member

Abstract

Purpose
    Fibromyalgia (FM) is a complex pain condition, and exercise is considered the first option of treatment. Few studies have examined the effect of exercise on molecular mechanisms in FM. The aim of this study was to analyze the plasma proteome in women with FM and healthy controls (CON) before and after 15 wk of resistance exercise. This study further investigated whether clinical and exercises-related outcomes correlated with identified plasma proteins in FM.

Methods
    Plasma samples from 40 FM/25 CON (baseline) and 21 FM/24 CON (postexercise) were analyzed using shotgun proteomics. Clinical/background data were retrieved through questionnaires. Exercise-related variables and pressure pain thresholds were assessed using standardized instruments. Multivariate statistics were applied to analyze the proteomic profile at baseline and postexercise, and correlation with clinical/exercise-related data.

Results
    Fifteen weeks of resistance exercises improved clinical symptoms and muscle strength, and affected circulating proteins related to immunity, stress, mRNA stability, metabolic processes, and muscle structure development in FM. Pressure pain threshold was related to a specific protein profile, with proteins involved in metabolic and immune response. Subgroups of FM based on plasma proteins, FM duration, and improved muscle strength were identified.

Conclusions
    Exercise seems to affect circulating proteins, clinical characteristics, and muscle strength in FM. This study contributes to better understanding of systemic protein changes in FM compared with CON and how resistance exercise affects such changes.

Open access, https://journals.lww.com/acsm-msse/...nvestigation_in_Plasma_from_Women_with.5.aspx

Peter Trewhitt, Hoopoe and Trish like this.
  2. Andy

Andy Committee Member

As far as I can see, the authors don't seem to acknowledge the almost 50% dropout of FM patients between baseline and completion of the 15 weeks of exercise.

3. Trish

Trish Moderator Staff Member

I've been looking for this in the main paper, and it looks like this is a problem of summarising in the abstract rather than a large dropout. The FM group was further split into exercise and relaxation groups, and not everyone had the proteomics tests done.

So it looks like the FM group who had proteomics done dropped from 23 to 21. The rest of the 40 at the start were in the relaxation group.

4. shak8

shak8 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Wow, resistance exercises, especially in the upper body. As person with moderate to severe FM, I could NEVER participate.

I have tried too many times, making myself worse for a week or more.

Exercise is NOT the first option of treatment though that meme has been forced down doctors' throats for years. It's like the CBT (panacea for ME) of fibro.

Treatment is all about not making pain worse, and of lessening pain. Using heat modalities, distraction, meds of various ilk, lowering stress.

Exercises per se are stresses to an already amped up pain signaling body. To be done with the utmost cautious prudence, well aware or hyper aware of the type of movement one is doing. Never eccentric muscle work.

edit to add:
    If researchers can find a method or substance that allows me to increase the muscle strength of my arms without needing afterward to be anesthetized unconscious for two weeks, I would be grateful.

Last edited: Jan 15, 2022