1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 18th March 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

Public Defence: Maria Pedersen – Pediatrics Norway Feb. 28, 2019

Discussion in 'General ME/CFS news' started by Sly Saint, Feb 21, 2019.

1. Sly Saint

Sly Saint Senior Member (Voting Rights)

"
    Public Defence: Maria Pedersen – Pediatrics
    Cand.med. Maria Pedersen at Institute of Clinical Medicine will be defending the thesis Chronic “Chronic Fatigue and Chronic Fatigue Syndrome Following acute Epstein-Barr Virus Infection in Adolescents” for the degree of Philosophiae doctor (PhD).

Time and place: Feb. 28, 2019 12:45 PM, Store Aditorium, Akershus Universitetssykehus

Adjudication committee

First opponent: Professor Trudie Chalder, King's College
    Second opponent: Knut-Arne Wensaas, NORCE Norwegian Research Centre
    Chair of the committee: Professor Harald Breivik, University of Oslo

https://www.med.uio.no/klinmed/engl.../events/disputations/2019/pedersen-maria.html

Hutan, MEMarge, andypants and 6 others like this.
  2. inox

inox Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Not heard of her, or her work before. I see Wyller is her supervisor.

So therefore, keep patients with acute EBV infection active and happy - so they don't develope chronic fatigue......? :noteworthy: :bag:

Not anything surprisingly with this, for anyone following the research or with knowledge of ME-patients. People report even minor virus infections as triggers and Lipkin among others have been down this route already.

3. Trish

Trish Moderator Staff Member

It's not clear to me from the abstract whether it was good or bad mood, more or less physical activity and more or less symptoms that were found to correlate with later fatigue. Nor does it say how long after the infection the fatigue was assessed.

It is in theory a good idea to do prospective studies like this. I hope the cohort will be followed to see which if any develop ME.

Having Chalder as one of the examiners doesn't fill me with confidence.

4. inox

inox Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Yeah, it's to little information to really know.

I'm sort of extrapolating from Wyller being the supervisor, as he is known to use only 6 months unexplained fatigue as a proxy for ME - and then not finding any association with cytokins in his studies. And his focus on kids need to do get and forcing activation, and the music therapy studies on kids with ME.

Totally unfair to this cand.med - doing prospective studies is valuable :)

MEMarge, ScottTriGuy, Trish and 2 others like this.