1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 18th March 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

Recommended by my vet

Discussion in 'Other treatments' started by Invisible Woman, May 16, 2018.

1. Invisible Woman

Invisible Woman Senior Member (Voting Rights)

My elderly dog is sleeping more and much less active and alert so I was very interested when my vet prescribed a new supplement for her.

The ingredient list piqued my interest even more. It includes:
    DHA/EPA
    N-Acetyl cystine
    Acetyl L - carnitine
    CoQ10

Fascinating that my vet should be prescribing the kinds of things that we're interested in here, while my GP would be scratching his head.

Edited - if anyone wants to read about it here's a link:
    http://www.vetplusglobal.com/products/aktivait/

As canines metabolize things differently to us it probably wouldn't be suitable for humans. Would love a human version!

2. Snowdrop

Snowdrop Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Yes, it would be very welcome if our GP's would provide us with treatment options.
    On the other hand we are not a basically healthy but aging dog so not a real comparison.

I read recently somewhere (sorry it's all vague except the conclusion I read) that I believe Ron Davis said that he found in people with ME that Omega 3's were very high and that Omega 6 was lacking. Maybe it was something from the Montreal conference.

This goes against general health advice that's why it stayed with me. It's just not possible to predict from studies or from the treatment of other populations what works in ME. I think we are stuck with something that defies the usual expectations.

3. adambeyoncelowe

adambeyoncelowe Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Les Simpson recommended omega 6 for blood deformability. However, when I got tested, it was certainly my omega 3 that was low.

Re: animals: I know horses who get equine fatigue syndrome (horse ME--look it up!) are given extended rest, and the cause is thought to be enteroviruses!

4. Snowdrop

Snowdrop Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I guess the Omega 6 thing is not a solid conclusion perhaps. Or alternatively said as; just because I remember something doesn't make it so. :unsure:

Melanie, andypants, Hutan and 2 others like this.
  5. Invisible Woman

Invisible Woman Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I wasn't comparing us to elderly dogs @Snowdrop.

My point was more that I find it weird that a vet, who treats multiple species, is aware of and prepared to use products such as L - carnitine and NAC to improve the quality of life for their patients, whereas many GPs probably don't even know these products exist.

It struck me because I have been looking in to trying both NAC & L carnitine myself and wondering which to try first, which brand and what dose to go for. Lots of questions and I have to figure it out for myself. Luckily, I have you lovely lot to confer with.

I had a blood test done and I was low in both omega 3 and 6. The omega 3 levels were much worse though.

6. Amw66

Amw66 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Perhaps its the genetics - my daughter has genes that are different to " normal" for omega 3 and 6. If these are expressed then the ratio is well out of whack.

7. Jenny TipsforME

Jenny TipsforME Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I find vets really impressive. They cover all the different species and all aspects of medicine and surgery. Also much easier to get an appointment and when you have an appointment you get treats. I’d like to join the local vet practice, humans are animals too :rofl:

8. Trish

Trish Moderator Staff Member

Great idea. And I bet they don't accuse their patients of conversion disorder or hysteria either.

9. chrisb

chrisb Senior Member (Voting Rights)

No.

But they do put down a lot of them.

Hutan, MarcNotMark, Amw66 and 7 others like this.
  10. Trish

Trish Moderator Staff Member

:D
    Only with their owners agreement. I'd be happy for my kids to decide when the time comes that I'm no longer compos mentis and have no quality of life that it's time for the vet to put me down.

11. arewenearlythereyet

arewenearlythereyet Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I’d give it a go ...but if they put on the long rubber glove ...I’m off

They probably would need to do a home visit too ..I’m allergic to animals

12. Mij

Mij Senior Member (Voting Rights)

My RBC test indicated the same.

It states here that lowered zinc levels were connected to low levels of Omega3's.

Invisible Woman likes this.
  13. Arnie Pye

Arnie Pye Senior Member (Voting Rights)

For NAC I would personally recommend Swanson :

https://www.healthmonthly.co.uk/swanson_nac_n_acetyl_cysteine

My reason for suggesting this one is that it has a thicker shell than some makes of NAC I've tried, but it doesn't seem to affect the uptake of the NAC itself. Since NAC smells vile, that thicker shell is very helpful!

14. Little Bluestem

Little Bluestem Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I did my undergrad at Michigan State University. At that time it was the only university to have 3 medical schools - allopathic, osteopathic, and veterinary.

They all did their first two years of classes together. The lab classes would have two sets of specimens, slides, whatever. One human set for all of the students and an animal set for the vet students.

There were some vet students on my dorm floor. They would joke that the vet program should become 5 years and qualify the grad to work on humans as well as the other animals.

Arnie Pye, Skycloud, Trish and 4 others like this.