1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 18th March 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

Review article: Physical and psychological comorbidities associated with irritable bowel syndrome, 2021, Shiha and Aziz

Discussion in 'Psychosomatic research - ME/CFS and Long Covid' started by Andy, Dec 21, 2021.

1. Andy

Andy Committee Member

Abstract

Irritable bowel syndrome (IBS) is one of the most common gastrointestinal disorders encountered by physicians in primary and secondary care. Patients with IBS commonly present with various extraintestinal complaints, which account for a substantial clinical and economic burden. The common extraintestinal comorbidities associated with IBS include anxiety, depression, somatisation, fibromyalgia, chronic fatigue syndrome, chronic pelvic pain, interstitial cystitis, sexual dysfunction and sleep disturbance. The presence of comorbidity in IBS poses a diagnostic and therapeutic challenge with patients frequently undergoing unnecessary investigations and interventions, including surgery. This review discusses the different physical and psychological comorbidities associated with IBS, the shared pathophysiological mechanisms and potential management strategies.

Open access, https://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1111/apt.16589

Peter Trewhitt likes this.
  2. alktipping

alktipping Senior Member (Voting Rights)

a sensible person reading this might consider autoimmune diseases rather than this meaningless word salad dressed up for the purpose of patient blaming .yes illnesses have an adverse effect on peoples ability to function well and society employers and benefit agencies require patients to see doctors that's how things work . making a big deal about it is pointless.

Sean and Peter Trewhitt like this.
  3. Peter Trewhitt

Peter Trewhitt Senior Member (Voting Rights)

My IBS has resolved over the years into a clear predictable pattern: episodes are triggered by specific foodstuffs, either high sugar content or foods that I am specifically intolerant to, being a day or so into an episode of PEM or in the later stages of a migraine where the pain is severe enough to also trigger vomiting.

It is not connected with stress or emotion or life events, unless these are such that they trigger can PEM. I suspect if individuals IBS are studied in sufficient detail clear patterns could be established such that the IBS could be managed or even treated. Certainly for me it seems to make more subjective sense to describe my IBS as a symptom of other things rather than a separate condition.

I suspect the lumping together approach rather than distinguishing sub groups and detailed analysis is a block to our understanding rather progressing the issues.

(Note I have not read the full article.)

alktipping, Wyva, Sean and 1 other person like this.