1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 18th March 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

Secnidazole

Discussion in 'Drug and supplement treatments' started by Wits_End, Dec 12, 2020.

Tags:
  1. Wits_End

Wits_End Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Andy kindly posted this link elsewhere on the forum:

However, if you scroll down to the comments, there's an interesting discussion about giardia and how someone who was prescribed secnidazole for it found her ME symptoms then vanished completely. The conclusion was that they must have been caused by something in the gut, rather than a virus. There's always a possibility that the person was misdiagnosed in the first place, of course, but secnidazole doesn't appear to be on anyone's radar here: I ran a search for it and came up with nothing. I wonder if it's something worth investigating.

Hutan, andypants, alktipping and 5 others like this.
  2. Art Vandelay

Art Vandelay Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I've had Secnidazole as a part of a triple antibiotic protocol for Blastocystis Hominis used by Dr Borody here in Australia. I did get some relief from my IBS symptoms but my ME symptoms largely stayed the same unfortunately.

Hutan, andypants, Wits_End and 5 others like this.
  3. Andy

Andy Committee Member

Lots of people with ME report a non-viral trigger for their illness. Just because someone had a viral infection doesn't mean that their ongoing symptoms are caused by that virus, as potentially the initial infection disrupted some seemingly independent system in the body. ME symptoms being maintained by the gut is an existing theory and why Invest in ME and others are looking at Fecal Matter Transplantion as a possible treatment.

Woolie, andypants, Wits_End and 6 others like this.