1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 18th March 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

Skeletal Muscle Dysfunction. The Harvard ME/CFS Collaboration at Harvard-Affiliated Hospitals

Discussion in 'ME/CFS research' started by John Mac, Sep 18, 2019.

1. John Mac

John Mac Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Research proposal

http://endmecfs.mgh.harvard.edu/skeletalmuscle/

2. NelliePledge

NelliePledge Moderator Staff Member

Yes this is what the British researchers at Nottingham and Birmingham will be involved in

Simbindi, merylg, alktipping and 3 others like this.
  3. Andy

Andy Committee Member

ETA: Meant to say something about this quote - the second paragraph looks like investigations will be impressively thorough.

Last edited: Sep 18, 2019
    Trish, Mithriel, pteropus and 8 others like this.
  4. jpcv

jpcv Established Member (Voting Rights)

I think there is a group of Italians who have been studying the muscle in patientes with ME.
    It seems thet this was a very promisisng field of research a few decades ago but somehow the interest faded away

5. Mithriel

Mithriel Senior Member (Voting Rights)

ME became CFS and the psychiatrists took over. The researchers who had been working on me for years were sidelined and grants dried up.

I know I keep harping on about it, but it looks, and is often stated as fact, that avenues like muscle and enteroviral involvement were explored and abandoned because they didn't lead anywhere but there have been lots if interesting results never followed up.

The cardiac involvement is something we could have done with being proved or disproved and cell membrane issues in particular, but it suited the narrative that we are just deconditioned and to imply that all that work was done but showed nothing.

jpcv, Annamaria, Amw66 and 4 others like this.