1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 8th April 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

Split-Second Unlearning: Developing a Theory of Psychophysiological Dis-ease, 2021, Hudson and Johnson

Discussion in 'Psychosomatic research - ME/CFS and Long Covid' started by Andy, Dec 17, 2021.

1. Andy

Andy Committee Member

Psychophysiological “stress” underpins many conditions including anxiety, depression, phobias, chronic fatigue syndrome and non-specific musculoskeletal pain such as fibromyalgia. In this article we develop an understanding of chronic psychophysiological stress from a psychological educational perspective, by drawing on supporting evidence that significant emotional events in early life (traumatic and benign) can influence health and well-being later in life.

We suggest that traumatic events instigate psychophysiological “stress” responses and the formation of emotional memory images (EMIs) within very short time frames, i.e., “split-second learning.” Once formed these emotional memories are triggered in daily living “re-playing” psychophysiological stress responses, resulting in chronic psychophysiological “dis-ease.”

We describe a novel therapeutic approach to scan clients for mannerisms signifying a subconscious “freeze-like” stress response that involves the client as a curious observer within their own experience, feeding back the non-verbal cues as they arrive in the moment. By breaking down the observable fragments of their split-second Pavlovian response to the trigger, clients can detach their EMI from the psychophysiology stress response, i.e., “split-second unlearning.” Our split-second unlearning model recognizes the EMI as a barrier to moving forward and needs to be unlearned before the client can become naturally adaptive again.

We argue that this approach places the client at the center of the work without the need of getting bogged down in a life-long narrative.

Open access, https://www.frontiersin.org/articles/10.3389/fpsyg.2021.716535/full

Simbindi, Barry, Snow Leopard and 2 others like this.
  2. Sean

Sean Moderator Staff Member

:sick::sick::sick:

CRG, Simbindi, EzzieD and 8 others like this.
  3. chrisb

chrisb Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I cannot see their defiition of "underpins". Perhaps they don't have one.

Simbindi, Lidia, EzzieD and 10 others like this.
  4. Arnie Pye

Arnie Pye Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Look at all the words in quotes. They want to use words with the meaning decided by the authors, not by a dictionary. Once you've started doing that you can distort the language any way you want.

“stress”
    [twice]
    “split-second learning.”
    “re-playing”
    “dis-ease.”
    “freeze-like”
    “split-second unlearning.”

One of my pet hates is "dis-ease". It's like using a hammer to hit me over the head while I'm reading someone's text to show that "I want to change the meaning of the word 'disease' but I won't mention it I'll just change the rules of English and normal spelling without warning rather than trying to use a different word that means what I want to use."

"Dis-ease" is absolutely top of my list of pet hates. Please don't try and justify your use of it to me. Pick a different word!

I've commented on my feelings about this abortion of a word before, and had multiple people justifying it. Please, please, please don't.

5. Peter Trewhitt

Peter Trewhitt Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Are these pins with psychophysiological stress lurking beneath them, the same ones that have an undetermined number of angles dancing on their head? Both are about equally measurable and equally available to scientific verification.

shak8, Simbindi, Lidia and 9 others like this.
  6. rvallee

rvallee Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Quickly spit-shines a dead horse

It's brand new! Never seen before! What a stallion it is!
    That's right, buddy, people can just detach from their bodily experiences and be mere curious observers. Totally. This is shmart.

Surely the race to the bottom will spit us out the other way if we go fast enough.

Simbindi, Lidia, EzzieD and 7 others like this.
  7. shak8

shak8 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

They want to dismantle the personality and experiences and memory of each unique individual and then reassemble said humans into how and what they want us to be/act like/respond.

Disintegrate us. So damning and damaging to read.

Simbindi, Lidia, Ash and 7 others like this.
  8. Lilas

Lilas Senior Member (Voting Rights)

There you have it, the human being is not that complex, it is enough simply to "reprogram" his mind, like a computer and as if by magic, he is healed ! See the biography of one of the authors, which says a lot ... (Psychobabble +++ https://loop.frontiersin.org/people/723738/bio)

" I am an inquisitive life long learner. My need to know how the body works has taken me down some very strange paths, all of which in some shape or form pointed to the mind. What is 'the mind' and how can we harness it's power for happier, healthier lives? My search to find the source of psychophysiological dis-ease continues. https://www.matthudson.com/ "

And what about his website ! No mention of his academic training. As for the other author, he is Professor of Pain and Analgesia and Director of the Centre for Pain Research at Leeds Beckett University, U.K. Another worrying collaboration.

RedFox, Simbindi, EzzieD and 11 others like this.
  9. alktipping

alktipping Senior Member (Voting Rights)

" I am an inquisitive life long learner. My need to know how the body works has taken me down some very strange paths, all of which in some shape or form pointed to the mind. What is 'the mind' . he could of saved himself an awful lot of time if he just excepted that the mind is an artificial construct created by an ancient Greek who clearly could not except that the fleshy bit between our ears was and is responsible for every thought and action that human beings have/do .

10. hibiscuswahine

hibiscuswahine Senior Member (Voting Rights)

My “split second thought” - this is NLP and then they referenced it :banghead: So didn’t read further, let’s make up stuff and get it published….

MEMarge, Simbindi, Lidia and 12 others like this.
  11. Sean

Sean Moderator Staff Member

Me too.

Shallow pseudo-philosophical games with words.

MEMarge, Simbindi, Ash and 9 others like this.
  12. Snow Leopard

Snow Leopard Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I didn't know that was a thing until today.

I searched it and see that it is an alt-med thing...

MEMarge, Simbindi, Ash and 7 others like this.
  13. Arnie Pye

Arnie Pye Senior Member (Voting Rights)

That doesn't surprise me. I usually see it on various forums where the occasional oddball turns up.

14. Forbin

Forbin Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Oh, I don't know. Their arguments sound pretty "psycho-logical" to me. ;)

MEMarge, Simbindi, Lidia and 16 others like this.
  15. TiredSam

TiredSam Committee Member

Me too. As soon as I saw that "word" I decided not to read any further. Not that I was going to read it anyway, but now I'm definitely not going to.

The kind of shite people with zero relevant qualifications write. He also wrote this:
    etc etc etc
    So he's into anything and everything and wants to set himself up as some kind of guru without doing any work except cobbling together a cocktail of the usual old nonsense, plus a bit of marketing and publicity. Dime a dozen.

MEMarge, Simbindi, Ash and 11 others like this.
  16. RattyMcgee

RattyMcgee New Member

Not sure this is the case from reading the same article. It sounds more like they're looking into the effects of memory on stress and therefore chronic pain, and whether reframing that memory can help with chronic pain.

shak8 and Peter Trewhitt like this.
  17. chrisb

chrisb Senior Member (Voting Rights)

But what about the reference to chronic fatigue syndrome, and what evidence is there for unusual traumatic stress in early life, compared with that of non-sufferers?

18. Ash

Ash Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Yeah. You have been very fortunate, I am sorry this winning streak has come to an end.

My first encounter was alternative types quoting stuff from the 80’s in the 2000s.

Louise ‘Cure your Cancer with your mind’ Hay, may have coined the variation. She certainly loved a blunt object metaphor and exploited it to the full.

We should all remind our “sceptical” GPs and Consultants that this is what they are signing up for when they talk about a “complex mind body relationship” that conveniently can also be rapidly uncomplicated by virtue of either strong personal will or willing submission to the latest “powerful technique” someone is hawking.

https://slate.com/human-interest/20...ce-harmed-the-aids-generation-of-gay-men.html

https://religiondispatches.org/lying-boldly-louise-hay-and-the-problem-of-religious-science/

“Hay had what every successful fraudster needs, which is the capacity to lie boldly and never turn back. Although no medical professional could ever be found to corroborate her story, she maintained all her life that she had cured her own cervical cancer, which she attributed to excess anger on account of childhood sexual abuse, by forgiving herself.”

Last edited: Dec 27, 2021
    Sean, Simbindi, Snow Leopard and 7 others like this.
  19. Trish

Trish Moderator Staff Member