1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 18th March 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

The Challenge of ‘Chronic Lyme’ - The New York Review of Books

Discussion in ''Conditions related to ME/CFS' news and research' started by ahimsa, Jul 25, 2018.

1. ahimsa

ahimsa Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I thought this was in interesting article so I thought I'd share it here:

https://www.nybooks.com/daily/2018/07/25/the-challenge-of-chronic-lyme/

PS. I'm not looking for a debate on Lyme. Please don't ask me any questions. I don't know enough about it.

2. duncan

duncan Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Reading this, I could not help but wonder if the new IDSA Lyme Guidelines were due out soon or something...

How is a doctor from Idaho qualified to speak with any perspective of meaningful, hands-on experience of Lyme disease? Shouldn't they practice in an endemic area? How did she not realize that the patient talking about a malarial disease was perhaps talking about babesia, but just didn't know enough to articulate that? How does she not know it's not just the 2T, it's getting there - it's getting past the ELISA, which is by itself questionable?

Unfortunate piece.

All rhetorical questions, btw, and not directed at @ahimsa. :)

Last edited: Jul 25, 2018
    Melanie likes this.
  3. Kalliope

Kalliope Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I can understand the doctor's frustration when meeting patients with diffuse symptoms, but I wish she wasn't so eager to dismiss the idea of chronic lyme.

Should women’s suffering be listened to, attended to, and investigated? Yes. Does our suffering deserve heroic efforts to develop and provide evidence-based therapies? Absolutely. But is our suffering caused by tick bites? Usually not.

Came across this news release from NIH today:
    Tickborne diseases are likely to increase, say NIH officials

The public health burden of tickborne disease is considerably underreported, according to the authors. For example, the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) reports approximately 30,000 cases of Lyme disease annually in the U.S. but estimates that the true incidence is 10 times that number. According to the authors, this is due in part to the limitations of current tickborne disease surveillance, as well as current diagnostics, which may be imprecise in some cases and are unable to recognize new tickborne pathogens as they emerge

duncan likes this.