1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 18th March 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

The Gut Microbiome in Myalgic Encephalomyelitis (ME)/Chronic Fatigue Syndrome (CFS), 2022, Scheibenbogen et al

Discussion in 'ME/CFS research' started by Andy, Jan 21, 2022.

1. Andy

Andy Committee Member

Myalgic encephalomyelitis (ME) or Chronic Fatigue Syndrome (CFS) is a neglected, debilitating multi-systemic disease without diagnostic marker or therapy. Despite evidence for neurological, immunological, infectious, muscular and endocrine pathophysiological abnormalities, the etiology and a clear pathophysiology remains unclear. The gut microbiome gained much attention in the last decade with manifold implications in health and disease.

Here we review the current state of knowledge on the interplay between ME/CFS and the microbiome, to identify potential diagnostic or interventional approaches, and propose areas where further research is needed. We iteratively selected and elaborated on key theories about a correlation between microbiome state and ME/CFS pathology, developing further hypotheses. Based on the literature we hypothesize that antibiotic use throughout life favours an intestinal microbiota composition which might be a risk factor for ME/CFS. Main proposed pathomechanisms include gut dysbiosis, altered gut-brain axis activity, increased gut permeability with concomitant bacterial translocation and reduced levels of short-chain-fatty acids, D-lactic acidosis, an abnormal tryptophan metabolism and low activity of the kynurenine pathway.

We review options for microbiome manipulation in ME/CFS patients including probiotic and dietary interventions as well as fecal microbiota transplantations. Beyond increasing gut permeability and bacterial translocation, specific dysbiosis may modify fermentation products, affecting peripheral mitochondria. Considering the gut-brain axis we strongly suspect that the microbiome may contribute to neurocognitive impairments of ME/CFS patients. Further larger studies are needed, above all to clarify whether D-lactic acidosis and early-life antibiotic use may be part of ME/CFS etiology and what role changes in the tryptophan metabolism might play. An association between the gut microbiome and the disease ME/CFS is plausible.

As causality remains unclear, we recommend longitudinal studies. Activity levels, bedridden hours and disease progression should be compared to antibiotic exposure, drug intakes and alterations in the composition of the microbiota. The therapeutic potential of fecal microbiota transfer and of targeted dietary interventions should be systematically evaluated.

Open access, https://www.frontiersin.org/articles/10.3389/fimmu.2021.628741/full

Missense, Midnattsol, Forbin and 10 others like this.
  2. alktipping

alktipping Senior Member (Voting Rights)

imho we are still very much in the dark regarding the gut biome and many papers seem to have jumped on the topic creating a new fad . until their is much better evidence regarding benefits potential harms i see this talk of fecal transplants for multiple different disorders as a guessing game .

Missense, Midnattsol, Wyva and 5 others like this.
  3. DokaGirl

DokaGirl Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Some pwME say probiotics help. Of course there are many types and quality varies.

IME, these are not permanent fixes, nor even long-term ones, as the modest effects wear off pretty much daily. But at least it's something for some pwME.

There is a CBC TV program about autism that discusses some with this disease find probiotics helpful. I believe prescription probiotics are discussed in this TV program.

I will have a look for a link to this show

alktipping, Missense, Amw66 and 3 others like this.
  4. Forbin

Forbin Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I certainly took a fair number of antibiotic "tablets" prior to grade school. They were sort of like Necco Wafers, if anyone remembers those. I took them for recurrent inner ear infections, which are fairly common in young children because the draining eustachian tube is easily blocked when you're small. Otologists I've seen have been surprised that I'm not at least partially hearing impaired due to all the scarring they see.

Frankie, alktipping, Missense and 2 others like this.
  5. Midnattsol

Midnattsol Moderator Staff Member

The fecal transplant study (the Comeback study) performed in Norway on pwME should be finished with data collection this year (the pandemic has put them behind schedule).

6. Amw66

Amw66 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

My daughter's gut microbiome has been a real issue. She had intolerances as a child which manifested as a skin condition but which resolved through diet. These were/ are dose dependent.

H Pylori after onset. Just tested positive for SIBO. Can't do dairy.
    52 week lead in for gastroenterology.

She is the " healthiest" eater of the 3 kids and can be very disciplined.

7. Amw66

Amw66 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

There is a member of ME Action Scotland currently in remission after fecal transplant.

Forbin, Sizzle, alktipping and 2 others like this.