1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 18th March 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

The NHS says these are the 20 most painful health conditions you can suffer from - Cambridge News Mar 2019

Discussion in 'Other health news and research' started by Sly Saint, Mar 26, 2019.

1. Sly Saint

Sly Saint Senior Member (Voting Rights)

(List reported taken from the Mirror)
    full list here:
    note (ME not on list but FM is)
    https://www.cambridge-news.co.uk/ne...migraine-endometriosis-arthritis-nhs-15339123

Last edited: Mar 30, 2019
  2. Woolie

Woolie Senior Member

For those who don't want to click through, the top ten are:
    1. cluster headaches
    2. shingles
    3. frozen shoulder
    4. broken bones
    5. complex regional pain syndrome (CRPS)
    6. heart attack
    7. slipped disc
    8. sickle cell disease
    9. arthritis
    10. migraine
    Its weird the way they mix up temporary, treatable complaints (like broken bones) with chronic relentless things, like CRPS.

Last edited: Mar 31, 2019
  3. Arnie Pye

Arnie Pye Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Followed by :

11. Kidney Stones
    12. Sciatica
    13. Appendicitis
    14. Trigeminal Neuralgia
    15. Endometriosis
    16. Gout
    17. Acute Pancreatitis
    18. Stomach Ulcer
    19. Fibromyalgia
    20. Pain after surgery

@Woolie Your list included heart attack with no number.

Little Bluestem and MEMarge like this.
  4. Woolie

Woolie Senior Member

Woops - thanks. Fixed now!

MEMarge and Arnie Pye like this.
  5. Mithriel

Mithriel Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I went to physio for a particular pain (which was not resolved:banghead:) He did find that I had a frozen shoulder and when I was given a steroid injection it was amazing that one of the pains which just merged into the background of my usual ME agony suddenly disappeared. The consultant who diagnosed me had been at the Royal Free and said that the patients would hit the roof when they were touched. The pain of ME is underestimated too often .

sea, Little Bluestem, Woolie and 3 others like this.
  6. Jonathan Edwards

Jonathan Edwards Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Pity they don't seem to realise that the acute pain of a slipped disc (7) is called sciatica (12). Presumably this list was drawn up by someone who knows less medicine than a final year student.

7. adambeyoncelowe

adambeyoncelowe Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I'm not sure I agree with their list. I've had shingles and a few gout-like attacks before, and the latter was much more painful.

Little Bluestem and Woolie like this.
  8. TrixieStix

TrixieStix Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Gallbladder attacks (from stones) should be high on the list. I have been thru all sorts of incredibly painful things and still the worst pain I've ever experienced was during gallbladder attacks.

9. oldtimer

oldtimer Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I agree it should be up there. Every few years I have what I assume is a gallbladder attack which may be stones, I don't know. It's a predictable 6 hours in the middle of the night of extreme, doubling-over pain. Then it disappears suddenly as if it never was. Unlike childbirth, the memory hangs around though!

10. Little Bluestem

Little Bluestem Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I think many things can be more or less severe. You might have had mild shingles and very severe gout.

For me, the absolute worst pain I have ever had, and never want to have again, was sciatica caused by an extruded disc. :arghh: I still carry oxycodone in my purse, just in case.

andypants and adambeyoncelowe like this.
  11. Wonko

Wonko Senior Member (Voting Rights)

For me the worst was TN, and unlike TN is normally described this was constant and escalating, every few pulses it would get worse.

I am not allowed carbamazepine, the routine first line treatment, so it was a case of just trying things, while knocking myself out with as many sedatives (mainly ami) as I could get ahold of.

My doctor was useless, I was practically camped out there, getting there well before she did because I, obviously, couldn't sleep.

Several months it took to find a combination of stuff I could get ahold of that worked.

By far the worst pain I've ever experienced and the whole NHS, totally useless.

adambeyoncelowe likes this.
  12. adambeyoncelowe

adambeyoncelowe Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I think that's the case, yes. But I still disagree with their list because it favours acute injuries and downgrades women's pain, which makes me instantly suspicious.

Gecko, Arnie Pye, Wonko and 2 others like this.
  13. andypants

andypants Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Agree with this, I have experienced those twice and I was vomiting from the pain both times. Was it even on the list? A list makes no sense in the first place, as mentioned above nearly everything can come in mild or severe forms.

TrixieStix and Wonko like this.
  14. Arnie Pye

Arnie Pye Senior Member (Voting Rights)

For what this is worth (anecdotal, so of little value), I have read posts by someone on another website whose TN went into remission with (I think) methylcobalamin and methylfolate. There are four different kinds of vitamin B12 available and I think they found that they had to try several kinds before they got some benefit.

Wonko likes this.
  15. Lucibee

Lucibee Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Surely pain is multidimensional. Even within categories. I've had frozen shoulder (and frozen hips and now frozen neck), but it consists of different sorts of pain at different stages. The pain on waking, when you can't move, and even thinking about moving makes it hurt, but actually moving makes it slightly better - a learning experience. Then the constant thudding pain in early days (only for the first 3 months) when you feel like you're being internally rewired (who knows, I probably was). To the flinch-response pain, which is the worst, and feels like being stung by a bee with a jack hammer - though mercifully short-lived. And then the pain associated with the memory of all of those. But none of those were constant, so I cannot even imagine what that would be like. :(

Wonko likes this.