1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 18th March 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

The Role of Iron Metabolism in Fatigue, Depression, and Quality of Life in Multiple Sclerosis Patients, 2020, Knyszyńska et al

Discussion in 'Other health news and research' started by Andy, Sep 24, 2020.

1. Andy

Andy Committee Member

Note: The term "chronic fatigue syndrome" is used often in this paper. As far as I can see the authors actually mean "chronic fatigue", which is why I have opened this thread in the "Health News and Research unrelated to ME/CFS" sub-forum, not elsewhere.

Open access, https://www.mdpi.com/1660-4601/17/18/6818/htm

2. Arnie Pye

Arnie Pye Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Correction by me : Ferritin deficiency in ALL patients is associated with an exacerbation of depressive disorders and a decline in quality of life.

3. alktipping

alktipping Senior Member (Voting Rights)

do you mean decline in in quality of life exacerbates depression . i wish that people saw depression caused by hardship is not a disorder but a natural response to life events.

ukxmrv, Wonko and Michelle like this.
  4. Arnie Pye

I was referring to low ferritin diminishing quality of life. And if someone is depressed for any reason being ferritin deficient will make it worse.

alktipping and Amw66 like this.
  5. Amw66

Amw66 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

And sadly ferritin is like tsh. Can be dangerously low but nothing recommended until acute .

alktipping likes this.
  6. Arnie Pye

I agree. Low iron and ferritin are so common, particularly amongst women, that they are often assumed to be small problems of no major importance.

alktipping likes this.
  7. duncan

duncan Senior Member (Voting Rights)

"Multiple Sclerosis (MS) is a chronic inflammatory disease of autoimmune origin..."

Maybe, maybe not. Not an encouraging sign they make such a declaration when the origin debate remains very much in play.

alktipping and Art Vandelay like this.