1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 18th March 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

This video game can detect early stages of Alzheimer's better than medical tests, researchers say

Discussion in 'Other health news and research' started by Alvin, May 4, 2019.

Tags:
  1. Alvin

Alvin Senior Member (Voting Rights)

https://www.cnn.com/2019/04/27/health/video-game-alzheimers-scn-trnd/index.html

Peter Trewhitt, rvallee and Wonko like this.
  2. Wonko

Wonko Senior Member (Voting Rights)

So it's okay for the older end of the population but Defender and it's ilk rotted kids brains and led to delinquency and even crime?

Yes, some of us have memories as to what the media said over a longer period than 10 minutes ago.

Although what happened 10 minutes ago is a bit........my memory of the digital stone age is still okay ;)

Computer games = bad (apart from Doom obviously, as that's not a game, it's a lifestyle choice)

These things claim to be science, but science has facts in it, usually, and facts tend to be fairly constant. Temporal flip flopping would strongly suggest that these things are not in fact facts, but simply biased opinions, or maybe even lies. That they are not science.

JemPD, Keebird and adambeyoncelowe like this.
  3. Alvin

Alvin Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I am not able to read the article but if they test their findings in good faith then a video game used to test a facet of memory can be scientific. It all comes down to how they validate their findings and how reproducible they are.

Trish and Wonko like this.
  4. aza

aza Established Member (Voting Rights)

Thanks @Alvin, at least the games are being useful...

It’s hard to tell if it’s good or bad Science without reading the article, but they do say ‘in the future’, so they are not claiming to have found a diagnostic test for Alzheimer’s Disease. I hope none of their subjects have another type of AD, Asperger’s Disorder, or their results will have serious problems. I have huge spatial issues and had a late diagnosis, as it happens to be the case with most Aspies.

Peter Trewhitt likes this.
  5. Mithriel

Mithriel Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I read once that spatial senses are one of the first things to be damaged in the brain after something like a stroke. I don't know how true it is but my spatial sense is dreadful.

Trish likes this.