1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 18th March 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

Towards evidence-based and inclusive models of peer support for long covid: A hermeneutic systematic review 2023 Mullard, Greenhalgh et al

Discussion in 'Long Covid research' started by Andy, Jan 30, 2023.

1. Andy

Andy Committee Member

Highlights

• Co-produced peer support can help people living with Long COVID.
    • Increasing the use of effective peer support may reduce health inequalities.
    • Inclusive peer support can benefit ‘hardly reached’ Long Covid cohorts.
    • Linking biomedical, relational and socio-political styles are most effective.

Abstract

Since the first wave of COVID-19 in March 2020 the number of people living with post-COVID syndrome has risen rapidly at global pace, however, questions still remain as to whether there is a hidden cohort of sufferers not accessing mainstream clinics. This group are likely to be constituted by already marginalised people at the sharp end of existing health inequalities and not accessing formal clinics. The challenge of supporting such patients includes the question of how best to organise and facilitate different forms of support. As such, we aim to examine whether peer support is a potential option for hidden or hardly reached populations of long COVID sufferers with a specific focus on the UK, though not exclusively.

Through a systematic hermeneutic literature review of peer support in other conditions (57 papers), we evaluate the global potential of peer support for the ongoing needs of people living with long COVID. Through our analysis, we highlight three key peer support perspectives in healthcare reflecting particular theoretical perspectives, goals, and understandings of what is ‘good health’, we call these: biomedical (disease control/management), relational (intersubjective mutual support) and socio-political (advocacy, campaigning & social context). Additionally, we identify three broad models for delivering peer support: service-led, community-based and social media. Attention to power relations, social and cultural capital, and a co-design approach are key when developing peer support services for disadvantaged and underserved groups. Models from other long-term conditions suggest that peer support for long COVID can and should go beyond biomedical goals and harness the power of relational support and collective advocacy. This may be particularly important when seeking to reduce health inequalities and improve access for a potentially hidden cohort of sufferers.

Open access, https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0277953623000242

2. Ash

Ash Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Yeah. Those people would include me.

Marginalised out of healthcare access by your crew. Through papers like this one with your name on it. Your formal clinics, are useful, to you. Not to me or mine.

As a people we need protection from those who have driven us out of society.
    We don’t need to perform acceptance of your exclusionary processes.
    We don’t need to act as cover for your decisions to not allow us medical access.

We just don’t need it.

This attempt to bring more into your preferred treatment model in a “formal clinic” to would amount to further work to be carried out by us on your behalves.

What’s it actually for?

Is mainly for the money, for the power for the control?
    To make you feel worthy, to make you look studious, or to secure further resources for y’all?

It fills me with dread to consider the possibility but could it be that while you’re all doing all this advertising for yourselves, and your own interests, you also like to imagine that you’re working towards meeting the needs of people in general. Or sick folk in particular. I certainly hope you’re all not this out of touch with reality.

Is your work better than nothing?

I can see why you would think so. The people you associate with are each other. I am sure some raining in of the worst of excesses occurs in course of these collaborations. I can also see how this could lead to an inflated sense of your own moderate good influences, for all of you.

But on my own behalf I’d say, definitely and collaboratively your work is worse than nothing. Even when it’s not too awful compared to your previous efforts, it’s just amount to cover for something else as deadly as it ever was.

“socio-political” is it now?

Do you mean to address the white supremacy still going strong?

The eugenics policies everywhere? Renewed and refreshed since this ongoing pandemic began

No hospital admissions for you if you have “care needs” or Learning Disabilities.

Austerity and it’s ongoing death toll?

The oppression of working class women causing dismissal misdiagnosis and death?

The enforcement of impoverishment rollout out first to ethnic minorities disabled and under educated people and now to many others all across the UK?

The fact the the Roma traveler community are now lawfully discriminated against made homeless and left destitute?

The rise in negative portrayal and misinformation across politics and mainstream media of all political persuasions targeting transgender people. This has lead to very high levels of harassment and violence. Such that many more affluent Trans folks are ready to emigrate in search of relative safety. Many more can’t afford to and or they are disabled and therefore would not be allowed to.

Of course a there is lot more UK policy and “socio-political” stuff that is making people sick and killing them you could address. But you’re not doing that are you? You perhaps want terminology that sounds better than previous stuff?

I come to this conclusion because the end result is still telling people that it’s all on them to survive. And that that they are still not doing it right. That it is time for people to stop thinking that they deserve access to medical care even or especially because discrimination and poverty makes them sick.

Instead they can take a deep breath, get active and stay positive. And what is more they can take time and effort to make sure their fellow sufferers are doing this too.

I guess we’ll just have to add this to the to do list and crack on….or drop dead.

Last edited: Jan 30, 2023
    Trish, Simbindi, sebaaa and 3 others like this.
  3. rvallee

rvallee Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Patients have done all the meaningful work so far. The medical profession has been useless so far. And these geniuses' idea is literally: you do you. While, again, completely ignoring existing chronic illnesses, especially the ones that are neglected. Long haulers have said again and again that we have been the only help so far, and none of that made it into this pathetic lack of an effort.

This is completely unserious. It's professionals using the work of amateurs and pretending they did something by making negligence policy, which was already the case anyway, patients have had to self-manage from the start. Meanwhile professional health care is what's missing, and all they can think of is to neglect the patients even more. Great work, geniuses.

And freaking hell it speaks of the fact that without social media, none of this would even be acknowledged and talked about, and somehow makes it into a narrative that ignores the mass negligence policy that continues to deny and discriminate against chronic illness. As if ideologues like Greenhalgh aren't responsible for this mass negligence they seem to think is great.

Why even bother showing up to work if you're going to do something so useless with it?

Last edited: Jan 30, 2023
  4. Hutan

Hutan Moderator Staff Member

With the paper's aim of finding out how peer support has worked in other conditions with commonalities with Long Covid, you might have thought that they would look at the literature on peer support in ME/CFS. If you did, you would be wrong. There's no mention at all of ME/CFS, CFS or chronic fatigue syndrome.

Could it be that acknowledging the enormous commonalities between much of Long Covid and ME/CFS would risk tainting those sufferers of Long Covid in the establishment with all of the victim-blaming labels that have been, and still are, applied to people with ME/CFS?

Could it be that considering ME/CFS literature would require acknowledging the idea put about by her mates that peer support in ME/CFS has been harmful?

In case anyone has forgotten about Greenhalgh - one of the authors of this paper - or are not aware of her:
    Thread on her here:
    Trisha Greenhalgh on ME/CFS and Long Covid

She has been involved in the NICE guideline on Long Covid which "disappears" ME/CFS - the first version at least, and I'm pretty sure the current version, says that ME/CFS literature was not considered in developing the guideline.

5. NelliePledge

NelliePledge Moderator Staff Member

Would be interesting to see Greenhalgh interviewed by @dave30th if that could happen

FMMM1, hibiscuswahine, Hutan and 2 others like this.
  6. rvallee

Read a bit more in detail and it's honestly impressive how offensive and clueless this editorial/paper is. How they talk about communities rejected by medicine, which they explicitly do by ignoring the context in which Long Covid is situated. It's as bad as the worst BPS fanatics pushing the conversion disorder, it just takes a different route to accomplish the same outcome. They completely ignore what obviously makes up most of Long Covid, the same denial that caused the problem in the first place, by some of the same people.

It's not credible that no one on this team, especially Greenhalgh, is not aware of the history of ME and can't reasonably have missed all the discussion about how this is exactly like all the discriminated chronic illnesses. And yet they ignore all of those, focusing instead almost entirely on issues of discrimination unrelated to illness or health, almost all the examples discussed have nothing to do with the issue of medical gaslighting, which of course is not discussed at all, and how it has a huge historical context, especially the UK.

It's certainly not credible that this was not raised by patient input, meaning they ignored patient input. In fact there is basically nothing about or from patients here, it's almost all about initiatives undertaken within healthcare systems to address them, which is completely different from the issue of an invalid medical model that manifests mostly through gaslighting, incompetence and denial.

So really this is peak academicism, it talks about abstract issues loosely related to reality, while never even looking at reality. It's rambling, incoherent and barely holds any actual idea. They talk about co-production of support but ignore everything the patients tell them, only have the usual "here's the solution, do it or get out of here". A lot of the peer support out there is actually about how awful healthcare is, how they don't have anything useful to offer and the far too many examples of blatantly insulting lies and nonsense they are told along the way. None of it is there, it completely washes most of the issues to make medicine appear benevolent while they push the same old "you do you" negligence.

An impressive piece of propaganda, Orwell would be proud of how it paints a different narrative while pretending to be sympathetic. Oddly enough I never see anyone talk about Greenhalgh or her work. A textbook example of Martin Luther King's fake allies, who may mean well but ultimately perpetuate the state of oppression just as effectively as those who mean to.

As usual, the failure is not technical. This is human failure, of empathy, of listening and of giving respect to the lived experience of others. There isn't any in there, this is merely a smiley face on the same old nightmare.

duncan, Amw66, Sean and 2 others like this.
  7. Trish

Trish Moderator Staff Member

Being only a dumb patient this phrase left me blank.

So I looked it up:
    Not much use.
    So I tried Wikipedia:
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hermeneutics
    Hermeneutics (/ˌhɜːrməˈnjuːtɪks/)[1] is the theory and methodology of interpretation,[2][3] especially the interpretation of biblical texts, wisdom literature, and philosophical texts.[4][5] Hermeneutics is more than interpretative principles or methods used when immediate comprehension fails and includes the art of understanding and communication.[6]

Modern hermeneutics includes both verbal and non-verbal communication[7][8] as well as semiotics, presuppositions, and pre-understandings. Hermeneutics has been broadly applied in the humanities, especially in law, history and theology.

Hermeneutics was initially applied to the interpretation, or exegesis, of scripture, and has been later broadened to questions of general interpretation.[9] The terms hermeneutics and exegesis are sometimes used interchangeably. Hermeneutics is a wider discipline which includes written, verbal, and non-verbal[7][8] communication. Exegesis focuses primarily upon the word and grammar of texts.

Hermeneutic, as a count noun in the singular, refers to some particular method of interpretation (see, in contrast, double hermeneutic).

I tried a more specific search and found this:
    A Hermeneutic Approach for Conducting Literature Reviews and Literature Searches Sebastian K Boell The University of Sydney Business School, Australia
    https://aisel.aisnet.org/cgi/viewcontent.cgi?article=3733&context=cais
    So basically it's saying don't just do a review, think about it too.

8. dave30th

dave30th Senior Member (Voting Rights)

me too!!

9. rvallee

Uhhh... I guess they skipped that part, then?

10. Hutan

Yep, that's Greenhalgh referencing her own paper, suggesting it was a successful application of the hermeneutic technique.

So, hermeneutics seems to be pretty much a fancy word for saying "we did whatever the hell we liked as we searched for papers that supported the stories we wanted to tell". I think others have used the word 'pragmatic'.

That could be an acceptable approach to a literature review, and I suspect that it is what most people undertaking literature reviews actually end up doing. (Though, combining 'systematic' and 'hermeneutic' seems a bit oxymoronic.) What most researchers don't do is clutter up a paper on a particular topic with an extensive justification for being highly selective about what literature they bothered to read and consider. These researchers however did feel that they needed to divert from the topic of the paper to give us an extensive justification, including an elaborate circular diagram taken from another Greenhalgh paper:

Screen Shot 2023-02-01 at 1.16.19 pm.png

In this case, 'hermeneutic' seems to be the 'get out of jail free card' as to why a systematic survey of the literature about 'similarly complex conditions that have serious public health implications' failed to report on the differing views about peer support in ME/CFS.

It's a shame that the authors didn't feel inclined to apply the same level of precision to a topic that is rather more central to their paper: the definition of Long Covid.
    There will be different causes of "persistent COVID-19 symptoms", and so there needs to be different treatments. It's an issue I am becoming increasingly concerned about. It seems a great way to sweep real and particular issues under the carpet - exemplified by a suggestion we have seen elsewhere that a session with the Royal Opera on breathing will solve them all. Long Covid, as it is defined in this paper, is not a single condition.

11. Sean

Sean Moderator Staff Member

Hermeneutic is one of those buzzwords that was getting around cultural studies departments when I was at uni 35 years ago.

It was crap then and still is.

12. Trish

Is there any research on peer support in ME/CFS?

Hutan and Peter Trewhitt like this.
  13. Trish

I've copied a whole section here as I found it an odd and therefore interesting way of describing patient self monitoring of symptoms and signs.
    I've added paragraph breaks.

I wasn't sure how much the authors liked this approach - it seemed to be seen only as of value if in the context of also providing social support, but I haven't read the whole paper in detail. There's quite a lot of focus, naturally given the aims of the paper, on support groups that include or focus on marginalised groups, eg specific groups defined by gender, ethnicity and disease. I'm sure some of these are very valuable to their participants provided they are available alongside also getting adequate medical care.

This general 'finding' could have been written without doing any of this research review, as it's so obvious and general:
    It goes on:
    Nice bit of patient blaming there that I've bolded. What does 'demotivated and disengaged' mean? Demotivated to do what? Disengaged from what? Whose fault is that?

Last edited: Feb 1, 2023
  14. Andy

Andy Committee Member

A quick Google search gives these (I have given the forum thread where we have it)

Provision of Social Support to Individuals With Chronic Fatigue Syndrome, https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3693568/

Impacts of online support groups on quality of life, and perceived anxiety and depression in those with ME/CFS: a survey, 2021, Morehouse et al

Professional support of self-help groups: a support group project for Chronic Fatigue Syndrome patients, https://www.researchgate.net/public...project_for_Chronic_Fatigue_Syndrome_Patients

Using the internet to cope with chronic fatigue syndrome/myalgic encephalomyelitis in adolescence: a qualitative study (Brigden et al., 2018)

Robert 1973, Sean, Hutan and 2 others like this.
  15. Trish

I have split the following paragraph into 3 shorter sections so I can comment on each:

That's a massive generalisation I'm not comfortable with. There are no doubt some groups whose entire focus is on symptom tracking, eg FB group on using heart rate monitoring for pacing. Why does that have to be holitisic too? And as far as I'm concerned, I want to find ways to improve my physical health. If I had severe asthma, I'd want a forum focused on the best medications and how best to use them, not to know about how many children or knitting patterns the person I'm talking to has. Sure there are other groups where we want to combine all 3, like this one, but they don't have to all be the same.

That seems like an odd sort of logic. Clinics are those expected to be knowledgeable and to infantilise patients, so to help patient feel less intimidated, let's take them somewhere in the community where people know nothing about the disease so they feel more at home. Er what? How about the clinic being more accessible and treating patients as intelligent partners in their care, and providing educational materials at the clinic for people with different backgrounds and knowledge. How about clinics stop infantilising patients.

As my mother used to say. Fine words butter no parsnips. It's up to the clinicians to stop shaming and blaming and briefing journalists to shame and blame.

Sean, Hutan, rvallee and 2 others like this.
  16. Trish

I have looked through the whole paper and commented on a few small sections. My overall impression is that this paper could have been written without any literature review. There's nothing new or particularly interesting here.

They found what they expected to find - that peer support groups happens in different forms - clinician led and patient led, and face to face and online. And that it has different purposes - symptom tracking to help with self management of whatever disease, mutual support, and advocacy.

They focus quite a lot, as was their stated intention, on how such groups could work to include people from marginalised communities who may not be accessing clinical care, both to support them and to encourage them into clinical care.
    Edit to add: I have no problem with that as far as it goes, but it highlights a massive failing in health services.

The areas I think the missed out on that I think are very important are:

The education of patients not only about their own health but about current research and research critique

Involvement of patients in service design and in research design and practice

Communication between patients, clinicians and researchers in a more equal environment for mutual learning

The misuse of patient support groups to advertise and/or spread misinformation about quack and unevidenced treatments and the harm that follows.

The misuse of patient groups as 'support' for bad research, eg in the past AfME giving cover for PACE

Edit to add:

And how to improve accessible and valid clinical care so patients are less driven to online support groups which may be good, or may be overflowing with misinformation.

And patients being driven to support groups to try to undo the harm the clinics have done.

Further edit:

All that junk about hermeneutics and how the process was done makes me think this is someone's PhD thesis. Sigh.

Robert 1973, RedFox, Sean and 5 others like this.
  17. Trish

Thanks Andy.

Hutan, Andy and Peter Trewhitt like this.
  18. Andy

Andy Committee Member

Meant to say that I didn't attempt an exhaustive search, so there may well be other examples that could be found.

Hutan, Peter Trewhitt and Trish like this.
  19. Hoopoe

Hoopoe Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Did they ask long covid patients about the good and bad aspects of peer support?

I am not sure there is much value in a literature review of peer support in other illnesses. The literature tends to be written by academics who inject their own biases, not patients. And other illnesses are different.

RedFox, Sean, SNT Gatchaman and 5 others like this.
  20. Hutan

There are some more threads tagged with 'peer support' and 'support groups' - click on the tag at the top left of the thread. BPS researchers have been quite active in being concerned about peer support e.g.

Surely that literature is relevant to the question addressed by this paper?

Sean, Peter Trewhitt and Trish like this.