1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 18th March 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

"Treating Long-COVID: Part 1" by Doctor B (the PT) i.e. a physical therapist

Discussion in 'Resources' started by Dolphin, May 3, 2022.

1. Dolphin

Dolphin Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Peter Trewhitt and Hutan like this.
  2. Hutan

Hutan Moderator Staff Member

It is surprisingly good.

Of course there's the question of whether PT's really need to be involved and whether people with Long Covid really need detailed plans. But this article makes the point that an educated PT can advocate for the patient, informing other health care professionals and assessors for financial assistance.

Some of the detail about what is going wrong physically is pretty speculative. But, whatever. It looks as though content from this person can help make physical therapists less likely to do harm.

3. Trish

Trish Moderator Staff Member

https://doctorbthept.com/about/

Who is Doctor B (the PT)?

Binkie4, Peter Trewhitt and Hutan like this.
  4. Kalliope

Kalliope Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Did you see part 2 where she writes about high intensity training and says that not everyone with ME/CFS have PEM?

https://doctorbthept.com/2022/04/19/treating-long-covid-part-2/

5. Jonathan Edwards

Jonathan Edwards Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I seriously doubt that. This is the usual pretence to know without knowing and selling of exercise that pervades the profession. Soft sell may be part of that but in some ways it is all the more worrying.

alktipping, bobbler, FMMM1 and 5 others like this.
  6. Trish

So she clearly is pretty clueless about ME/CFS. All the more recent definitions require PEM for diagnosis.

And where is the alleged evidence that any kind of fitness training helps with any kind of fatiguing illness?

alktipping, Mithriel, rvallee and 9 others like this.
  7. Andy

Andy Committee Member

8. Wyva

Wyva Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Ehh, what is she talking about? HIIT is brutal, that's the point. I'm not even sure it is a good idea for beginners as it is a perfect fitness regimen to make someone lose motivation quickly because of how rigorous and demanding it is. It is for fitness freaks like I was and this was one of the things I did as my workouts. It is literally killing yourself for 20 seconds then rest for 10, then repeat over and over. That's the point. What the hell is she talking about.

9. NelliePledge

NelliePledge Moderator Staff Member

Ali, PhysiosforME, Lilas and 8 others like this.
  10. Hutan

No

Kalliope likes this.
  11. Louie41

Louie41 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Where are the RCTs, showing that all patients with ME/CFS have PEM, when you really need them?

12. Jonathan Edwards

Jonathan Edwards Senior Member (Voting Rights)

An RCT is not going to show how many PWME have PEM!
    It is just a matter of whether you define it that way or not.
    Presumably Dr B is thinking of 'fatiguing illness' in more general terms or just making it up.

alktipping, FMMM1, Mij and 7 others like this.
  13. Wyva

I've found the paper about HIIT and CFS she was referring to. We have a thread on it: Fatigue Exacerbation by Interval or Continuous Exercise in Chronic Fatigue Syndrome (2016) Sandler, C; Llloyd, A; Barry, B

From the paper:

This doesn't actually sound like HIIT, it is not intense enough. HIIT is 80-95% of your maximum HR and the 100 seconds of activity also sounds too long for the typical intense HIIT interval. This sounds more like "moderate" intensity interval training.

14. Trish

It was being tested as an alternative version of GET, so not good for pwME.

15. Wyva

Yes, of course. I'm saying that when she said CFS patients without PEM can benefit from HIIT, even that is not correct, since the study wasn't about HIIT but about moderate level continuous exercise vs moderate level interval training. (This is because they had to match the workload of the two.) And the things she said about improving insomnia or that shorter bursts are more tolerable than continuous exercise are also not true. The paper actually said they expected interval training to exacerbate post-exertional fatigue more but it didn't and the two trainings actually had a similar impact. They also said the effect (slight improvement) of unrefreshing sleep is due to data from a single patient and otherwise there was no change in sleep.

Last edited: May 6, 2022
  16. PhysiosforME

PhysiosforME Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Thank you for the tag

Sean, Hutan, alktipping and 3 others like this.
  17. bobbler

bobbler Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I like the bit about "you can probably tell that I'm a pusher". This reminder to people to be self-aware is so important. Surprising as it is there are many I've come across, particularly physios, where it has become such second nature they do not realise and it takes them huge restraint to not 'be in charge' and use every tactic to not only make people do something but get them saying 'yes that is great' at the same time (even if it isn't you find yourself saying it like an idiot as if it has been put in your mouth).

If physios don't both internalise this absolutely, and realise it needs an attitude/approach change in how they interact you have the same issue. Which is why I am so sceptical about BACME stuff and reading some of the job descriptions trying to OK exercise increases as long as they are 'patient-led'. There is no such thing with people with the wrong skillset/personal qualities inbuilt (listening isn't what many people nowadays think they are doing when they claim they are, and it involves a lot more than they realise).

This lack has been hidden by increasingly prescriptive approaches, but I fear isn't being acknowledged - or prized - when they tell themselves they'll be 'patient-led'. Yet no knowledge of the patient in being able to do that vs the physio. When it is people as ill as you get with these things there really should be whole sections on what to look out for rather than putting it on the patient to be dominant and rehearsed in such an encounter. It's so hard to have ME and 'negotiate' on a physios home turf, nevermind answer questions off the top of your head about future PEM in terms they'll understand.

I look at the visual pain scale and wonder why on earth all the measures don't employ this level of thought in ME, and the same with communication being absolute and simple. Why should someone write their whole personal ins and outs down for it to 'be assessed' for most of these things? They could easily have examples to point to.

18. Hutan

Such good points @bobbler.

There's also the problem that people with ME/CFS are trying to do things that were, pre-illness, easily accomplished. We expect to be able to do the things we could do. We often don't want to acknowledge, even to ourselves, that we can't do something. And, with the delay in the worst of symptoms, it is easy to not join the dots. 'Patient-led exercise ' is therefore only safe, even with an empathetic trainer, if the patient is well informed and has internalised the impact of their disease. (And, even a decade on, I think I probably have not completely and consistently internalised the impact of my disease.)

19. bobbler

bobbler Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Agreed. Looks like they didn't even 'walk through' their own questions and tasks for sense and doability ('historical precedent' fallacy I assume).

What normal person without cognitive issues and PEM whilst answering and new variability due to PEM can rate how many 'energy units' brushing their teeth vs driving their car is? And why? :confused: Yet they seem very happy to boast about doing this.

How many of those would they try and answer before they got peed off? Or do they think feigned interest is still what people with ME/CFS/now LC want vs reality of it being a chore (and them feeling they've been taken the mick out of).

What sense does that make anyway? How is it really relevant or 'objective'? Does it mean anything (no, you are asking 'relative assessments' given the phrasing on things you know anyway, not 'absolute' - of course a car drive is more than toothbrushing) or just theatre?

Is it safe? She crowbarred in some good pieces of research then put her own conclusions on it - which is outrageous. Turned stop rest pace into graded exercise.

Because of trauma?! And the solution to that is to intrusively micromanage, despite having no direct experience of it, with a bit of fake sympathy because.....? She's right about being a pusher.

20. Dolphin

Dolphin Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Starlight and Peter Trewhitt like this.