1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 18th March 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

Trial By Error: My Exchange with Minnesota Medical Center Holding ME/CFS Patient

Discussion in 'General ME/CFS news' started by Andy, Jan 27, 2021.

1. Andy

Andy Committee Member

https://www.virology.ws/2021/01/26/...nesota-medical-center-holding-me-cfs-patient/

2. chrisb

chrisb Senior Member (Voting Rights)

IN the US who picks up the bill for involuntary detention in hospital? What would happen if the patient under involuntary detention instructed his insurance company not to pay? Presumably there is then an argument as to whether he has capacity to give such an instruction. It would be interesting to see the contracts.

3. rvallee

rvallee Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Obviously invoking the patient's "right to privacy" as a cover for denying his right to liberty is complete BS. The best recourse would be to sign it away so they can't use it as an excuse.

4. dave30th

dave30th Senior Member (Voting Rights)

There's a petition for commitment and they'll have a hearing on it in court. He's got lawyers and his family's backing him now.

5. Andy

Andy Committee Member

6. NelliePledge

NelliePledge Moderator Staff Member

Good news will be hoping for a positive result

7. Barry

Barry Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Well, I think those two emails should make them stop and think.

8. dreampop

dreampop Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I was under the impression in the U.S. (obviously some states will have specifics), that if you weren't a danger to yourself or others, you couldn't be held in the long term. Perhaps I'm totally wrong about that.

9. Hoopoe

Hoopoe Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Presumably they want to hold him because he is a danger to himself with his (from their point of view) irrational belief to suffer from food intolerances and ME.

10. dreampop

dreampop Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Yeah, maybe, but it's such a scary idea because with that the argument that follows is anything or any problem you have with me/cfs you're doing to yourself with irrational beliefs.

11. dave30th

dave30th Senior Member (Voting Rights)

that's the standard yes. the argument would be that he is psychiatrically impaired and so is a danger to himself, I guess.

12. cfsandmore

cfsandmore Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I think Medicare or if he is very poor Medicaid covers the bill.

13. Bill

Bill Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Thank you for your efforts David!

Bill

14. Louie41

Louie41 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Hennepin Healthcare has, unfortunately, a dodgy reputation caused largely by their involvement in a "study" in which members of the public (largely minorities) were given ketamine by HCMC paramedics at the request of cops, and without the patients' permission. This study was undertaken by one of their ER doctors who was also a sheriff's deputy.

Not too long after the furor died down, they changed their name from Hennepin County Medical Center to Hennepin Healthcare. :rofl: So if you want to read about it, you need to search under Hennepin County Medical Center. I'm not surprised they've "sectioned" Thane.

If you search "Hennepin County Medical Center ketamine" you'll turn up some interesting reading, @dave30th.

https://www.buzzfeednews.com/article/azeenghorayshi/hennepin-ketamine-informed-consent

https://www.startribune.com/fda-hcm...study-going-after-pledging-to-stop/511269232/

Edited to add last paragraph and links. Later edited for statements from memory which I could not verify.

Last edited: Feb 4, 2021
  15. Yessica

Yessica Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Update on Thane’s civil commitment case - #MEAction Network

Mithriel, Barry, cfsandmore and 18 others like this.
  16. Amw66

Amw66 Senior Member (Voting Rights)