1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 18th March 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

[UK] #MEAction, Meet with your MP about ME – Our Toolkit shows you how!

Discussion in 'Advocacy Projects and Campaigns' started by Andy, Oct 11, 2018.

1. Andy

Andy Committee Member

https://www.meaction.net/2018/10/11/meet-with-your-mp-about-me-toolkit/

2. Andy

Andy Committee Member

Reposted at request of #MEAction UK.

Esther12 and NelliePledge like this.
  3. EspeMor

EspeMor Established Member (Voting Rights)

Hope you guys find it useful!

Espe
    x

Esther12, Amw66, Inara and 3 others like this.
  4. Sasha

Sasha Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Hi Espe - any thoughts for those of us who aren't well enough to meet with our MPs in person or on the phone and who don't use social media such as FB, Twitter, etc.?

Have you considered a template email that those of us in that position could send, for instance?

It's M.E. Linda, meg22, Trish and 2 others like this.
  5. NelliePledge

NelliePledge Moderator Staff Member

Maybe record a short video message for them if that’s an option? Ask if a friend or family member could meet with them on your behalf if there’s someone you can rely on to put your message across.

KarenSW, EspeMor and Inara like this.
  6. Sasha

Neither would be options for me, I'm afraid, though perhaps others could do that.

NelliePledge and Trish like this.
  7. EspeMor

Hi!

In this case, some people opt for a group meeting. Often they might arrange it via #MEAction local groups on FB so others can convey your message and bring your letter and any other documents. I understand that this might not be possible in your case though. Keeping that in mind, I'd recommend tweaking the email template and requesting a home visit. I know this is not the norm and it might be tricky to arrange, but I'd try to go for it, explaining why you can't make it to an in-person meeting and emphasising how extremely important it is for YOU as their constituent to be able to convey your message and your concerns. I am also aware that it can be disheartening if this doesn't pan out or if you put quite a lot of effort into it but it doesn't work out, but MPs must remember that we are here and that we are knocking on their door (and will keep doing so).

Does that help? :)

It's M.E. Linda, Andy and Trish like this.
  8. Sasha

Am not able to deal with home visits, alas. I think a lot of us are in that boat. :)

9. NelliePledge

NelliePledge Moderator Staff Member

:hug:

Trish and Sasha like this.
  10. EspeMor

I understand Sasha. Have the call to actions to urge MPs to attend debates been more helpful for you? I'm just trying to figure out the best way to provide you with tools so that you can connect :) I know that we might use similar tools (e.g. social media) but hopefully, we will have other tools available for you soon! ;)

It's M.E. Linda, Andy and Sasha like this.
  11. Sasha

Hi Espe - yes, the actions in which we can send emails are great. It's anything that involves getting on social media, or meeting with people in person or on the phone or on Skype, or breaching privacy by giving other patients our materials to pass on, that is a problem for me. I suspect that a lot of people who, like me, are sick enough for social contact to be a problem 'in real life' also defend ourselves against social contact on social media because we don't have the energy. Basically, it's email campaigns or petitions or nothing.

I realise that this is a 'meet your MP' campaign, though, so if that's really your focus, it's fine if people like me can't take part in this phase. But it seems unlikely that in every constituency there'll be a PWME to do this, and at that point, I hope you'll consider bringing the rest of us in and having a wider campaign to target the MPs not reached by this.

Thanks for all the hard work you're putting into this. :)

12. It's M.E. Linda

It's M.E. Linda Senior Member (Voting Rights)

@EspeMor , Sasha has raised an important point. Many PwME only have sufficient energy to follow one route of communication.

Could a ‘generic’ email be prepared for use by PwME who are unable to make any sort of physical meeting with their MP?

It could still be related to the ‘Meet your MP about ME’ campaign by referring to it. Cross reference so that the single email could say ‘you may have already heard from a group of people with ME from your constituency who have asked to meet with you. Unfortunately I am unable to attend any sort of meeting, but wanted you to be aware that I, too, need you to support the campaign ........’

South West have already helped prepare two letters of this type (but from small groups of non-mobile people) which, I’m sure, could be amended to suit. Happy to help.

EspeMor, Trish, Andy and 1 other person like this.
  13. EspeMor

Thanks for the feedback Sasha, much appreciated. Working on this to see what we can put together :)

Andy, Sasha and Trish like this.
  14. EspeMor

Thanks so much! Yeah, we should look into this and see how we might be able to incorporate something like this :)

15. EspeMor

Also just to let you guys know that we are working on new online tools to help you take action with us and MPs without having to meet in person or the phone. This is the first of hopefully many other toolkits and online tools to follow! :)