1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 18th March 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

Open UK: Research on how young adults (aged 16-24) with ME/CFS talk about their identity (Emma Williams, Final year trainee counselling psychologist)

Discussion in 'Recruitment into current ME/CFS research studies' started by Dolphin, Jul 18, 2022.

1. Dolphin

Dolphin Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Missense, Hutan, shak8 and 1 other person like this.
  2. Snow Leopard

Snow Leopard Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I know some people are going to criticise the project, but it is worth researching - I still don't have a defined/comfortable identity and I was ill before I was 16.

bobbler, FMMM1, rainy and 11 others like this.
  3. Peter Trewhitt

Peter Trewhitt Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I agree this is an important topic. I was in my 30s when my ME started and I had completed my education, had a career and developed a friendship circle. I am very grateful for the opportunities I had pre ME and know how different I would have been as a person had my onset been significantly earlier.

However, without more information it is hard to know if such research would progress our understanding and management of ME or cause more problems for young people with ME. It depends very much on the researcher. This reads potentially positive, but I delayed commenting in the hope that someone might know more.

4. MEMarge

MEMarge Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Her later tweets don't sound v encouraging.

Emma Williams - UoM ME/CFS researcher
    @MECFSatUoM

·
    17 Jul

Myalgic Encephalomyelitis, also called Chronic Fatigue Syndrome or ME/CFS, is chronic, fluctuating condition with a wide range of symptoms. The most common symptom is extreme tiredness ME/CFS affects the individual's ability to recover after expending energy (even a small amount)

Hi, I'm Emma, a final year counselling psychology student conducting research into ME/CFS in young adults. Am super passionate about ME/CFS and have the privilege of working with individuals with ME/CFS day-to-day in the NHS

5. CRG

CRG Senior Member (Voting Rights)

6. Hutan

Hutan Moderator Staff Member

There's a nice tweet in reply by Anil noting that ME/CFS is not chronic fatigue. Can someone invite Emma here? She clearly means well, but could use some more information (especially given she works 'day-to-day' with people with ME/CFS in the NHS).

Lilas, bobbler, rainy and 9 others like this.
  7. Peter Trewhitt

Peter Trewhitt Senior Member (Voting Rights)

@Joan Crawford posted the following to the Sheffield ME and Fibromyalgia Group’s Facebook page:

See https://www.facebook.com/groups/1463401580612062 (Sorry I could not work out how to link to the post itself, so you need to scroll down to a couple of days ago on the group page. Emma William’s contact details are in the original post.)

[edited to remove Emma William’s email and phone number because I was not sure if it is appropriate for me to share it]

Last edited: Jul 21, 2022
    shak8, MEMarge, Joan Crawford and 5 others like this.
  8. Joan Crawford

Joan Crawford Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Hi Hutan,
    I've been in touch with her and chatted with her about her work. I have mentioned this forum along with sources of history etc.
    Bw
    Joan

Lilas, bobbler, FMMM1 and 10 others like this.
  9. Hutan

Hutan Moderator Staff Member

NelliePledge, bobbler, FMMM1 and 5 others like this.
  10. Sly Saint

Sly Saint Senior Member (Voting Rights)