1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 18th March 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

UK: Voting by post

Discussion in 'General disability topics and advocacy' started by Andy, Oct 31, 2019.

1. Andy

Andy Committee Member

There has been a recent conversation on this topic, and given that there is a General Election due shortly, I thought that I'd post some, hopefully, helpful links.

The Electoral Commission's page on the subject, https://www.electoralcommission.org.uk/i-am-a/voter/how-cast-your-vote/voting-post

Government page on voting, https://www.gov.uk/voting-in-the-uk#postal-voting
    and page with the form to apply for a postal vote, https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/apply-for-a-postal-vote

Whatever your political persuasion, if you aren't registered please register to vote, and if it makes it easier for you, which it probably will for most of us, apply for a postal vote.

ahimsa, Lou B Lou, feeb and 9 others like this.
  2. Sarah94

Sarah94 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I have seen some people expressing concerns on Twitter that the December date of the election, considering the usual strain on the postal service around this time of year, may result in postal votes not arriving to be counted in time.

So, it may be better to apply for a proxy vote.

Lou B Lou, alktipping and Lisa108 like this.
  3. Adrian

Adrian Administrator Staff Member

Postal votes can be delivered to the polling station on the day. I suspect that if you are late deciding and sending them in then you can ring up one of the major political parties and get them to collect and deliver your vote on the day.

Also if you don't have a postal vote then the parties will often drive people to (and back from) the polling stations. I have come across labour voters who preferred to get a lift from the conservatives as they had nicer cars. My point being they parties don't know how you vote but just hope you will vote for them.

Missense, Ash, Lou B Lou and 8 others like this.
  4. Snow Leopard

Snow Leopard Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Interesting, in Australia it doesn't matter, so long as they are posted before the election - they are still counted as they come in, with results of close elections delayed.

But I have a feeling the timing is also about having less people vote, given that voting is not compulsory in the UK...

5. Sarah94

Sarah94 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Merged thread
    If you are worried about whether the postal vote will get there in time, you can get somebody to take it to the polling station for you. My mum is going to take mine. I don't trust the postal service at this time of year.

If you don't have somebody who can take it for you, then try asking one of the local parties. If you tell them that you are voting for them, then they will want to ensure that your vote gets there.

Likewise, if you didn't manage to apply for a postal vote, and if you're able to leave the house with support, you can contact one of the parties and ask them to drive you to the polling station.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 7, 2019
    Lou B Lou, Binkie4, ahimsa and 2 others like this.
  6. Andy

Andy Committee Member

With a general election in the UK due at some point this year, if you want to make use of a postal vote then probably better to get your application in for it sooner rather than later (if you aren't registered already of course). The links in my quoted post still seem fine.

ahimsa, Ash, Lou B Lou and 6 others like this.
  7. Trish

Trish Moderator Staff Member

I recommend it. Postal voting has worked very well for me and my daughter for years.

A reminder also that if you are votiing in person you will need photo ID.

For postal voting, you don't need photo ID, you have to sign a separate sheet that you send in in a separate envelope from your vote. Both envelopes then go in an outer envelope. It's all provided with clear instructions.

ahimsa, Ash, Lou B Lou and 5 others like this.
  8. Binkie4

Binkie4 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I like voting in person and have never yet missed a general election. It makes me feel part of the community in a way that almost nothing else does.

I think I should apply for a postal vote now however. I'm not sure I can vote in person since the covid vaccinations have reduced my functionality.
    Was interested in John McDonnell's article in Politico today, posted on another thread, urging more help for those with ME. I change constituency this time- I haven't moved, it's boundary changes. I need to get more au fait with candidates and how they might respond to ME.

Missense, Ash, Lou B Lou and 6 others like this.
  9. NelliePledge

NelliePledge Moderator Staff Member

I had to get a postal vote long before I got diagnosed with ME because I used to have to travel away from home long days or overnight for meetings and missed out on local elections one year. I have stuck with it since I stopped working as it was only then a question of getting to a post box at a time to suit me and as the ballot paper arrives a few days beforehand more flexibility not restricted to being capable on election day.

Missense, Ash, Andy and 6 others like this.
  10. Kitty

Kitty Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Yes, I've done it for many years because the polling station near my former house was a school that had slightly rubbish wheelchair back then.

Our ballot papers seem to be sent out quite a long way in advance, so there's plenty of time to post them.

Missense, Ash, Andy and 4 others like this.
  11. JemPD

JemPD Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I also recommend it, been doing it since long before i was ill as i worked out of town.

The ONLY downside is that it does mean you have to vote several days before election day, & on one occasion i found out something the day before elction day that made me wish i'd voted differently, so that was a bummer, but i ahev usually decided long before time anyway so it doesnt matter.

Missense, Ash, Andy and 3 others like this.