1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 18th March 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

Video : Fat-Bias Nearly Cost Him His Life [Patient had Lyme Disease]

Discussion in 'Infections: Lyme, Candida, EBV ...' started by Arnie Pye, Aug 16, 2022.

Tags:
  1. Arnie Pye

Arnie Pye Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Barry and Peter Trewhitt like this.
  2. BrightCandle

BrightCandle Senior Member (Voting Rights)

This is a 1 in 1000 doctor who actually pays attention and realises that obesity doesn't result in degradation of a patient in a few weeks. That is not normal the moment you become overweight its all doctors will talk about regardless of your symptoms and how they get worse quickly. This sort of medical negligence is the norm and its all I have ever seen in over 150 appointments. Systemic prejudice is rife within medicine.

3. DokaGirl

DokaGirl Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Good someone is out there advising about this bias.

I've heard a doctor cast aspersions on patients solely because of their weight.

I know that criticism about weight can prevent getting to the crux of the health issue, even when life threatening diseases are involved.

I don't know how over weight health care providers are treated. Could be a difficult space for them.

alktipping and Arnie Pye like this.
  4. Barry

Barry Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Not so different to the ME/CFS bias that many medics have.

5. DokaGirl

Exactamundo!

Barry, TigerLilea and alktipping like this.
  6. Kitty

Kitty Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I used to work with someone who wouldn't go to the GP unless she was desperate. The first thing any healthcare professional would do, almost before saying Hello, was to ask her to step onto the scales.

I was so worried about her at one point that I offered to go with her to an appointment, as although I can struggle when it comes to looking after my own interests, I'm much more capable when fighting someone else's corner. She said her GP's attitude couldn't have been more different when she arrived with a brisk, professional-looking companion; he asked how he could help and never mentioned her weight. It suggested that there was an element of bullying or belittlement involved, which he wasn't keen to have witnessed.

7. DokaGirl

Thanks for pointing this out, @Kitty.

I've seen this. Not about weight. But going solo can be a problem with any type of pro who is inclined to bully. Say, loans officers as an example, as well as docs, nurses, you name it. Particularly bad when the interaction affects one's health care, or other well being such as personal finances etc.

alktipping and Arnie Pye like this.