1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 8th April 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

Vivid Dreams After Unusual Foods

Discussion in 'General and other signs and symptoms' started by DokaGirl, Sep 27, 2018.

1. DokaGirl

DokaGirl Senior Member (Voting Rights)

When I eat foods new to me, or foods I haven't eaten in sometime, I have vivid, usually disturbing dreams the following night.

I wonder if my microbiome becomes accustomed to certain foods, and gets thrown off with the introduction of a food I rarely eat, or one I've never tried before. It doesn't matter what type of food it is. It is also an interesting possibility that the microbiome could affect dreams. There are "cheese dreams".

I've had ME for 33 years, and vivid dreams after unusual food has happened many times.

2. ladycatlover

ladycatlover Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Occasionally I have very vivid dreams, but I've never linked them to food. Maybe I should start to think about that!

Last night I had a dream that I saw a grey squirrel in the caravan field (we're staying in static caravan in a field in Wales). We saw one about a week ago, husband saw it too, so that was definitely real! ;) First time in over 40 years that we've seen a squirrel round here. But I'm pretty certain my "second sighting" of it was actually a dream. But very realistic, to the extent that this morning I was convinced it was a memory rather than a dream, if that makes sense. :rolleyes: We'd been talking of planting tulips in pots on the deck last night, and I was wondering if they'd get eaten by the squirrel should it return, rabbits love tulip bulbs, so I was guessing squirrels probably do too. So there was some kind of reason why I might have a dream about the squirrel!

Had a rather higher protein diet than usual yesterday. Breakfast was leftover kidney turbigo with toast, then late lunch of roast chicken with all the trimmings (including sausage and bacon).

This is just my recent one off experience. It's a while since I had such a realistic dream. I'll be trying to keep track of them now, and see if diet might be involved. It wasn't a particularly disturbing dream other than I was so convinced it was real!

3. NelliePledge

NelliePledge Moderator Staff Member

Oh dear that’s not fun.

I hope you don’t mind me saying when I read your title all I could think was dreaming about unusual foods. I love food and it would actually rather nice to have a vivid dream about food. (Sorry for flippancy)

I only have vivid dreams very occasionally and they are usually related in some way to a negative experience. I once had a dream that I was trying to get my mum out of a hotel with the fire alarm going off in the middle of the night going round and round corridors. But I don’t remember it being linked to food I tend to eat a pretty varied diet all the time.

DokaGirl, andypants and ladycatlover like this.