1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 18th March 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

Weekly collapses

Discussion in 'Post-Exertional malaise and fatigue' started by Marky, Aug 3, 2019.

Tags:
  1. Marky

Marky Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Hi.. :)

So the last two months have been really rough for me, after doing gradual exercise for some months. I made a post about it a while back. Since then ive been having problems e.g making dinner some days due to low functioning, but the biggest fork in the road right now is that I keep getting these panic attack esque collapses where I will go to the ground with a heart beating out of my chest, shaking and panic. I can usually feel these episodes coming hours before, starting with my stomach acting up and generally feeling wired. Ive been to the emergency room like 4 times already (called them like 8), and these episodes are really draining. I mean it feels like i have to die once a week, and I rather die, well - once.

I'm struggling to understand what I can do about it, and why its happening. My orthostatic intolerance is pretty pronounced right now, so maybe its related to poor autonomic functioning (it usually happens when standing).

Anyone experienced anything similar? I don't know if its ME-related or not, and therefore don't know what to do about it. Ive had similar episodes in earlier crashes, but the frequency of them is a lot higher this crash. Is it my body telling me to lie down? In that case why does it have to be so dramatic about it :alien:

Thanks for reading, i find it kind of embarrassing so I rather ask here than on e.g Facebook

coFi94, Annamaria, DokaGirl and 11 others like this.
  2. Hoopoe

Hoopoe Senior Member (Voting Rights)

In case you have not been tested for POTS, it would be a good idea to do so.

Annamaria, DokaGirl, MEMarge and 4 others like this.
  3. Hoopoe

Hoopoe Senior Member (Voting Rights)

When you feel that this is about to happen, you could drink plenty of salt water and lie down, with feet elevated above the level of your head. Does this make it better?

Does this tend to happen within a few hours of eating?

4. Daisy

Daisy Senior Member (Voting Rights)

@Marky i experienced something similar when my OI/POTS worsened.

I got awful adrenaline surges which made me tachycardic, wired, jittery and with greatly reduced emotional resilience. They were most unpleasant and exhausting and lasted for hours with the after effects for days.

They seemed to occur mostly as an over correction when I was trying to relax into PNS. My theory anyway. This along with the orthostatic tachycardia made my life a misery as I was so symptomatic and tachycardic when upright, but also had these surges and tachycardia when trying to rest.

Beta blockers have helped, I still get mini surges but they are manageable. Still get orthostatic tachycardia but not so bad.

Have been told I easily meet criteria for POTS (168 BPM on stand test), awaiting consultant at Addenbrooke's for further advice on meds etc.

5. Marky

@Daisy That sounds similar! I dont have high bpm when standing, but I do get higher blood pressure upright (both kinda does the same thing?). Keep me posted on what they tell u:)

6. Trish

Trish Moderator Staff Member

We need to be careful about giving medical advice. You would need to be properly medically diagnosed before trying adding extra salt, especially if episodes might involve high blood pressure, I think. Salt may make the situation worse.

I hope you can get a doctor to take your symptoms seriously and investigate.

7. Marky

Yea we don't really know what to do. I`m legit clueless as to why this is happening

I just wanna feel like shit again.. :rofl:

8. Mij

Mij Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I'm assuming you are male?

I've had (and still have) similar episodes since menopause started a few years ago. They feel like adrenaline surges.

Annamaria, Daisy, DokaGirl and 2 others like this.
  9. Mij

Mij Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Here is something I found regarding adrenaline surges:

Medical conditions that cause an overproduction of adrenaline are rare, but can happen. If an individual has tumors on the adrenal glands, for example, he/she may produce too much adrenaline; leading to anxiety, weight loss, palpitations, rapid heartbeat, and high blood pressure. Too little adrenaline rarely occurs, but if it did it would limit the body's ability to respond properly in stressful situations.

10. Arnie Pye

Arnie Pye Senior Member (Voting Rights)

11. MeSci

MeSci Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Inappropriate exercise?

Sarah94, Annamaria, Daisy and 2 others like this.
  12. Snowdrop

Snowdrop Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I've experienced this over decades.

I believe that the health community has this particular biology exactly backwards. If you google anything around adrenaline (epinephrine) surge you get only and always a commentary on psychological fear and/or anxiety causing this.

This has absolutely not been my experience. The surge starts and then I feel what amounts to anxiety. Something is wrong with how this system functions. This release of adrenaline is aberrant. I have been woken in the night with these surges in the past. And these surges (when they are frequent) coincide with further deterioration in function (and may as Strategist points out) be what leads to permanent POTS symptoms.

I have no science knowledge to posit any theory but I do understand this well from experience. Medicine seems to have no clue that this can happen without there being some psychological/behavioural manifestation first. All I know is that I am very sure this is wrong.

And it causes people to doubt themselves and think they are frightened people easily made to panic over ordinary situations.

I'm not sure what there is to do. I do make sure I take salt, and magnesium. But I've noticed that a regular intake of magnesium needs to be balanced at times with some potassium too. My symptoms of surges are now mild but my functioning has not improved.

It would be good to investigate ways of differentiating this from symptoms that might indicate a heart attack/MI as this seems to be a general concern.

TiredSam, Sarah94, MeSci and 12 others like this.
  13. Marky

Thanks for sharing, and i could not agree more @Snowdrop! The episodes are so intense and out of the blue that I cant understand how my thinking contributed to it. Obviously your train of thought can lead to phobias etc, but I dont think u can think yourself into having these attacks. It just does not really make sense.

"It would be good to investigate ways of differentiating this from symptoms that might indicate a heart attack/MI as this seems to be a general concern."

Yeah, i think severe chest pain is a major one, and past history. Thing is though, when I get these episodes its straight up impossible to not assume you are going to die because your whole biological system is complete fear and panic. Its so hard to think straight, even when I have decided the same day that I will not call 911 I still end up doing it. I mean im lying on the ground with heart banging on my chest, body shakes, difficulty breathing and speaking - and I already feel shit because of my ME - how am i supposed to be able to conclude in the moment that this is not acute?

coFi94, MarcNotMark, Sarah94 and 10 others like this.
  14. Marky

Hey! Yea I`m male. I did actually check blood adrenaline levels back in 2014 cause i was having similar episodes when I first got sick. They were normal.. I think that the ME is causing this somehow, cause they happen when my ME is bad. But I have no idea how.. I read that with adrenal tumors you will get headaches, which I dont get so I dont know

15. Snowdrop

Snowdrop Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I'm not sure. I was thinking there might be some sort of medical device that is available for use at home. But I don't really know much about this. When I had major surges like this there would have been no tech available. And I suppose it would really depend on noticing early and being at home too.

Annamaria, Daisy, DokaGirl and 3 others like this.
  16. Arnie Pye

Arnie Pye Senior Member (Voting Rights)

+1

Brilliant post @Snowdrop

V.R.T., Annamaria, Daisy and 5 others like this.
  17. MEMarge

MEMarge Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Could you get a cheap Heart -rate monitor to record what's going on when this happens, to take to a doctor.

Annamaria, Daisy, DokaGirl and 4 others like this.
  18. Marky

I guess i could ask for another holter test, although I dont think its a heart issue it might be a place to start i guess! Thanks

19. NelliePledge

NelliePledge Moderator Staff Member

Even if your GP doesn’t come up with anything useful at the moment it still a good idea to see them about it so it will be on your medical records that you are having this problem so it’s there if you need emergency treatment.

MarcNotMark, Annamaria, Marky and 4 others like this.
  20. DokaGirl

DokaGirl Senior Member (Voting Rights)

@Marky, so awful you are having these worrying and terrible symptoms.

I get the heart racing, faint, nauseated feelings often with upright positions.
    Used to get adrenaline surges the moment I woke up. I don't think these were psychological as I was just waking up.

I did a holter monitor some years ago. I was given a chart to write down symptoms, and what I was doing at the time. I wrote down when I was standing, and when supine, so the physician interpreting the results could see what my HR was during standing versus supine.

I hope you have improvement soon, and can also get some help with this.

Annamaria, Mij, Marky and 1 other person like this.