Case report: Treatment of long COVID with a SARS-CoV-2 antiviral and IL-6 blockade in a patient with rheumatoid arthritis and SARS-, Vis. et al. 2022

Discussion in 'Long Covid research' started by Jaybee00, Feb 15, 2023.

1. Jaybee00

Jaybee00 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

https://www.frontiersin.org/articles/10.3389/fmed.2022.1003103/full

Introduction: Long COVID, or post-acute sequelae of SARS-CoV-2 infection (PASC) in ∼30% of all infected individuals. Here, we present a case of PASC in a patient with rheumatoid arthritis characterized by viral persistence in the nasopharynx for 6 months after acute infection. We demonstrate transient disappearance of antigen persistence and decreased antiviral and autoimmune T cell responses after nirmatrelvir/ritonavir and tocilizumab treatment.

Case presentation: A 37-year-old female with a 7-year history of rheumatoid arthritis enrolled in a COVID-19 research study was found to continuously test SARS-CoV-2 antigen positive in the nasopharynx for 6 months after acute infection. She simultaneously presented with new-onset PASC symptoms including chronic occipital headache and periods of intense fatigue 8 weeks after acute infection. The patient was prescribed nirmatrelvir/ritonavir to treat SARS-CoV-2 persistence at 3.5 months post-acute infection and observed a reduction in PASC symptoms 3 weeks after completing antiviral treatment. After resurgence of PASC symptoms, she stopped treatment with tocilizumab for rheumatoid arthritis to attempt complete SARS-CoV-2 viral clearance. The severity of the patient’s PASC symptoms subsequently increased, and she developed new-onset brain fog in addition to previous symptoms, which resolved after resumption of tocilizumab treatment. Assessment of adaptive immune responses demonstrated that nirmatrelvir/ritonavir and tocilizumab treatment decreased antiviral and autoreactive T cell activation. After resuming tocilizumab treatment, the patient’s PASC symptoms were significantly reduced, but nasopharyngeal antigen positivity remained.

Conclusion: These data suggest that nirmatrelvir/ritonavir should be considered in the treatment of PASC in patients who have SARS-CoV-2 antigen persistence, though care must be taken to monitor the patient for symptom resurgence or viral reactivation. In addition, the IL-6 inhibitor tocilizumab may ameliorate PASC symptoms in patients with persistent headache, fatigue, and brain fog.

2. Hutan

Hutan Moderator Staff Member

This case study has the problems that case studies have - n=1 and confounding factors of the RA and vaccinations. Tocilizumab reduces the effectiveness of the immune system, the woman was immunocompromised.
    Still, the discussion in the case study is interesting. Nirmatrelvir/ritonavir is Paxlovid.

Those mentioned papers would be interesting to sift through. The fact that the virus appeared to have been cleared, and then it re-appeared, even though the patient did not seem to have any interim exposure to a new infection suggests that the virus can simmer along at undetectable levels, supporting the idea of a viral/antigen persistence cause of ME/CFS-like syndromes.

@Jonathan Edwards - one for you.

Personally, I'd like to see a prospective trial of paxlovid at Covid-19 onset as a preventative, and a trial of paxlovid as a treatment for ME/CFS-like PASC.

Peter Trewhitt, NelliePledge and Sean like this.
  3. Jonathan Edwards

Jonathan Edwards Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I had a quick look. I cannot see how one can really draw any conclusions without any control data. Goodness knows what caused what here.

Hutan and Peter Trewhitt like this.