Preprint Clinical and Diagnostic Features of Post-Acute COVID-19 Vaccination Syndrome (PACVS), 2024, Mundorf et al

Discussion in 'Long Covid research' started by forestglip, Jun 13, 2024.

1. forestglip

forestglip Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Clinical and Diagnostic Features of Post-Acute COVID-19 Vaccination Syndrome (PACVS)
    Anna Katharina Mundorf, Amelie Semmler, Harald Heidecke, Matthias Schott, Falk Steffen, Stefan Bittner, Karl J. Lackner, Karin Schulze-Bosse, Marc Pawlitzki, Sven Guenther Meuth, Frank Klawonn, Jana Ruhrländer, Fritz Boege

Version 1 : Received: 11 June 2024 / Approved: 12 June 2024 / Online: 12 June 2024 (14:36:05 CEST)

Abstract
    "Post-acute COVID-19 vaccination syndrome (PACVS) is distinguished from the normal post-vaccination state by altered receptor antibodies (Semmler et al. Vaccines 2023, 11, 1642). Here, we explore the symptoms registry and standard serum markers acquired in the above study to delineate the disease phenotype of PACVS. Symptoms reported by the participants overlapped with established complex dysautonomia syndromes (ME/CFS, POTS, MCAS, SFN). However, many participants were qualified for several (131/191) or none (31/191) of these syndromes. Unbiased clustering (modified Jaccard index) revealed a prevalent cross-cohort symptomatology of malaise and chronic fatigue (> 80% of cases). Overlapping clusters of (i) peripheral nerve dysfunction, dysesthesia, motor weakness, pain, vasomotor dysfunction, (ii) cardiovascular impairment, and (iii) cognitive impairment, headache, optic, oculo-motoric and acoustic dysfunctions were also frequently represented. Conspicuous serum markers encompassed increases in interleukins 6 and 8 and low fT3 levels (> 80%), IgG-subclass imbalances and impaired iron-storage (> 50%), and increases in sNFL (> 30%). Serum markers were not correlated to specific symptoms or symptom clusters. A single and unique cause (i. e. SARS-CoV-2 vaccination) is improbable to trigger several distinct etiologies. Therefore, the symptoms and serological features observed in our study cohort probably represent facets of a single complex syndrome."

Link | PDF

Last edited: Jun 13, 2024
    Peter Trewhitt likes this.
  2. rvallee

rvallee Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Unless they dismiss the same idea with COVID infections, this is just weird. Says who? Because infection from many pathogens can do that. A fact that has been stubbornly rejected, but which COVID has revealed clearly.

I get that medicine has a model of single cause for single unique pathologies, but it turns out that this model only works some of the time. Scientists reject models when data contradict them, if not as a whole, they at least recognize that models don't represent reality, only some facets of it.