High-dose ubiquinol supplementation in multiple-system atrophy: a multicentre, randomised, double-blinded, placebo-controlled phase 2 trial, 2023

Discussion in 'Other health news and research' started by Mij, Apr 16, 2023.

1. Mij

Mij Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Multiple System Atrophy:

-slowness of movement, tremor, or stiffness
    -clumsiness or lack of coordination
    -impaired speech
    -croaky quivering voice
    -fainting or lightheadedness due to orthostatic hypotension

Summary

Background
    Functionally impaired variants of COQ2, encoding an enzyme in biosynthesis of coenzyme Q10 (CoQ10), were found in familial multiple system atrophy (MSA) and V393A in COQ2 is associated with sporadic MSA. Furthermore, reduced levels of CoQ10 have been demonstrated in MSA patients.
    Methods
    This study was a multicentre, randomised, double-blinded, placebo-controlled phase 2 trial. Patients with MSA were randomly assigned (1:1) to either ubiquinol (1500 mg/day) or placebo. The primary efficacy outcome was the change in the unified multiple system atrophy rating scale (UMSARS) part 2 at 48 weeks. Efficacy was assessed in all patients who completed at least one efficacy assessment (full analysis set). Safety analyses included patients who completed at least one dose of investigational drug. This trial is registered with UMIN-CTR (UMIN000031771), where the drug name of MSA-01 was used to designate ubiquinol.
    Findings
    Between June 26, 2018, and May 27, 2019, 139 patients were enrolled and randomly assigned to the ubiquinol group (n = 69) or the placebo group (n = 70). A total of 131 patients were included in the full analysis set (63 in the ubiquinol group; 68 in the placebo group). This study met the primary efficacy outcome (least square mean difference in UMSARS part 2 score (−1.7 [95% CI, −3.2 to −0.2]; P = 0.023)). The ubiquinol group also showed better secondary efficacy outcomes (Barthel index, Scale for the Assessment and Rating of Ataxia, and time required to walk 10 m). Rates of adverse events potentially related to the investigational drug were comparable between ubiquinol (n = 15 [23.8%]) and placebo (n = 21 [30.9%]).
    Interpretation
    High-dose ubiquinol was well-tolerated and led to a significantly smaller decline of UMSARS part 2 score compared with placebo.

https://www.thelancet.com/journals/eclinm/article/PIIS2589-5370(23)00097-4/fulltext

Peter Trewhitt and Arnie Pye like this.
  2. Mij

Note, reduced levels of CoQ10 have been demonstrated in MSA patients.

Some pwME have stated that PEM was ameliorated from taking high dose Ubiquinol.

It helped me years ago but over time it made my sleep worse.

3. DokaGirl

DokaGirl Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Ubiquinol seems to boost my energy. It doesn't have a tremendous effect, but it helps a little. After about 7 to 10 days of not taking it, I become more fatigued.

I've gone through this ABA cycle several times now with the same effect.

Hutan, MeSci, Mij and 1 other person like this.
  4. Hutan

Hutan Moderator Staff Member

CoQ10 - Coenzyme Q10
    Here's our CoQ10 discussion thread. I'm not aware of any credible trial identifying CoQ10 as useful in ME/CFS and do know of some that suggest that it probably isn't.

But, interesting to see that defects in the COQ2 gene are associated with that condition 'familial multiple system atrophy'. I haven't read this study; the average improvement (-1.7 difference in UMSARS Part 2 score) might be fairly small for 48 weeks of supplementation - I don't know the scale.

The list of symptoms suggest some scope for misdiagnosis as ME/CFS. @Andy, perhaps the gene is of interest for the DecodeME analysis.

DokaGirl, Peter Trewhitt and Amw66 like this.
  5. Mij

I'm suggesting that CoQ10 Ubiquinol might be helpful for symptoms such as orthostatic intolerance and improved heat tolerance which was most likely the case for me during PEM.

My CoQ10 blood test results were low.

DokaGirl and Peter Trewhitt like this.
  6. Mij

What are the supplements helping exactly? OI? Coq10 didn't give more energy per se, but I was able to function better until it disrupted my sleep so I discontinued.

Effect of Dietary Coenzyme Q10 Plus NADH supplementation on Fatigue Perception and Health-Related QOL in individuals of M.E/CFS: A prospective, randomized, double-blind, placebo-controlled trial.

Abstract
    Myalgic encephalomyelitis/chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS) is a complex, multisystem, and profoundly debilitating neuroimmune disease, probably of post-viral multifactorial etiology. Unfortunately, no accurate diagnostic or laboratory tests have been established, nor are any universally effective approved drugs currently available for its treatment.

This study aimed to examine whether oral coenzyme Q10 and NADH (reduced form of nicotinamide adenine dinucleotide) co-supplementation could improve perceived fatigue, unrefreshing sleep, and health-related quality of life in ME/CFS patients. A 12-week prospective, randomized, double-blind, placebo-controlled trial was conducted in 207 patients with ME/CFS, who were randomly allocated to one of two groups to receive either 200 mg of CoQ10 and 20 mg of NADH (n = 104) or matching placebo (n = 103) once daily. Endpoints were simultaneously evaluated at baseline, and then reassessed at 4- and 8-week treatment visits and four weeks after treatment cessation, using validated patient-reported outcome measures.

A significant reduction in cognitive fatigue perception and overall FIS-40 score (p < 0.001 and p = 0.022, respectively) and an improvement in HRQoL (health-related quality of life (SF-36)) (p < 0.05) from baseline were observed within the experimental group over time. Statistically significant differences were also shown for sleep duration at 4 weeks and habitual sleep efficiency at 8 weeks in follow-up visits from baseline within the experimental group (p = 0.018 and p = 0.038, respectively).

Overall, these findings support the use of CoQ10 plus NADH supplementation as a potentially safe therapeutic option for reducing perceived cognitive fatigue and improving the health-related quality of life in ME/CFS patients. Future interventions are needed to corroborate these clinical benefits and also explore the underlying pathomechanisms of CoQ10 and NADH administration in ME/CFS.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC8399248/

DokaGirl, Hutan and Peter Trewhitt like this.
  7. Hutan

Mij, Trish, DokaGirl and 2 others like this.
  8. Andy

Andy Committee Member

Well, if that gene comes up in our results as one that many of participants share a variant of then we will of course report it.

Hutan, Lisa108, Mij and 2 others like this.
  9. Hutan

Yes. I guess I was thinking of this as a potential source of misdiagnoses. So, there may not be enough people with this particular problem misdiagnosed as ME/CFS to get about the threshold for significance. But, DecodeME might find a handful of people with the functionally impaired variants.

I'm just thinking, if the DecodeME team had a list of genes where there is some potential for misdiagnoses, they could screen the data for the problematic variants. That could help tell us about whether enough effort is being made to rule various differential diagnoses out.

Peter Trewhitt likes this.