New data show Shingrix can provide at least 10 years of protection against shingles in adults aged 50 years and older.

Discussion in 'Other health news and research' started by Mij, Oct 22, 2022.

1. Mij

Mij Senior Member (Voting Rights)

2. oldtimer

oldtimer Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Good to be reassured by the effectiveness and safety findings.
    I'm about to take the huge financial plunge and have the two Shingrix vaccinations. The protection from both infection and post-herpetic neuralgia is far superior.

According to nps.org.au, the older vaccine, Zostavax, is only 51% effective at preventing infection and 67% effective at preventing post-herpetic neuralgia.

In Australia Zostavax is free for over 70s but Shingrix isn't. Shingrix will cost me about $560 (about £315) for the two injections.

The lifetime risk is 22% for men and 32% for women. I assume that's 32% of only those who have had chicken pox. It's quite common anyway. Big decision.

Last edited: Oct 22, 2022
    Hutan, Sean, RedFox and 2 others like this.
  3. Mij

Mij Senior Member (Voting Rights)

My province's immunization program transitioned from Zostovax to Shingrix vaccine a couple of years ago. Seniors ages 65 to 70 years will get the two dose Shingrix for free. So I'm waiting five years until I'm eligible.

Sean, RedFox, Trish and 1 other person like this.
  4. Sean

Sean Moderator Staff Member

I am about to get the second of my Shingrix course, in a week.

Not exactly looking forward to it, as the reaction to the first one was the worst I have had for any vaccine. It wasn't disaster level, and passed within a week. But it was pretty unpleasant for the first 2-3 days, and I will be making sure my fridge is full and my calendar free for the week after it.

I am a way off 70, but my father offered to pay, and I can't afford any more health complications, and shingles is not something you want to get.

After that is over, I will be looking at getting a new multivalent Covid vax.

RedFox, Hutan, Mij and 3 others like this.
  5. Sean

Sean Moderator Staff Member

Had my second Shingrix two days ago. A lot less of a problem than the first one. Did feel moderately shitty the day after, and I still have a bit of a sore arm. But nothing like what happened with the first dose.

Sid, Mij, Hutan and 3 others like this.
  6. oldtimer

Sid, SNT Gatchaman, RedFox and 3 others like this.
  7. oldtimer

My second Shingrix vaccination was completely uneventful - not even a particularly sore arm. Despite the eye-watering AUD$570 price tag I feel relieved to have potentially saved myself from the worst of yet another nasty disease.

Trish, Sean, shak8 and 1 other person like this.