Normal versus abnormal: What normative data tells us about the utility of heart rate in postural tachycardia, 2019, Baker and Kimpinski

Discussion in ''Conditions related to ME/CFS' news and research' started by Hutan, Jun 16, 2024.

1. Hutan

Hutan Moderator Staff Member

https://www.autonomicneuroscience.com/article/S1566-0702(18)30298-4/abstract
    not open access
    Short Communication - Autonomic Neuroscience

The autonomic reflex screen (ARS) has been established as an important clinical tool in the evaluation and diagnosis of autonomic disorders ( Low, 2003 ). Specifically, passive Head-up Tilt (HUT) to a minimum 60° angle from the horizontal provides an orthostatic challenge that is sensitive in diagnosing disorders of orthostatic intolerance, including but not limited to, neurogenic orthostatic hypotension, autonomic failure, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome, syncope, etc. ( Low and Benarroch, 2008 ).

While various pathologies can adversely affect normal autonomic functioning, age also plays a significant role in the responsiveness and integrity of the autonomic nervous system. Therefore, from a clinical perspective it is important to acquire and maintain normative data across various age groups to more clearly pars out the effects of normal aging versus a pathological state. For example, the current clinical definition of postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS) is a heart rate (HR) increment ≥30 bpm on HUT or active standing and the absence of orthostatic hypotension (Low et al., 2008 ). However, in children and adolescents, previous reports demonstrate considerable overlap between patients and controls with 42% of the controls meeting or exceeding the HR criteria for POTS ( Singer et al., 2012 ). Moreover, in 2015 the Heart Rhythm Society released an expert consensus statement observing a HR increment ≥40 bpm should be considered in individuals aged 12–19 years ( Sheldon et al., 2015 ). However, a growing source of literature has begun to accumulate to suggest that these findings have expanded such that even young adults frequently manifest benign postural tachycardia at levels ≥30 bpm on HUT without any associated orthostatic symptoms ( Baker and Kimpinski, 2015 ).

To better understand ‘normal’ values, and to accurately assess the presence or absence of disease, clinicians require the most up-to-date and representative sample that can be acquired. As such, it is important for individual clinics to generate their own normative dataset to account for differences between different geographical regions, populations and laboratories ( Low and Benarroch, 2008 ). Therefore, the objective of the current report was to provide normative hemodynamic values with a specific focus on heart rate and blood pressure changes during Head-up Tilt that is representative of young, middle aged and older individuals from Ontario, Canada.

Michelle, Sean, Snow Leopard and 3 others like this.
  2. Hutan

Thanks to @MECFS Skeptic for posting about this paper on another thread.

3. Hutan

These authors have been involved in other relevant studies.

A prospective 1-year study of postural tachycardia and the relationship to non-postural versus orthostatic symptoms.

The Orthostatic Discriminant and Severity Scale (ODSS): an assessment of orthostatic intolerance.

Higher postural heart rate increments on head-up tilt correlate with younger age but not orthostatic symptoms.

Sean, Deanne NZ, EndME and 1 other person like this.
  4. ME/CFS Skeptic

ME/CFS Skeptic Senior Member (Voting Rights)

There were 252 participants in this study of which 123 in the age group of 18-29 (where POTS diagnosis is common).

They only did 5 instead of 10 minute testing but don't think that would impact the conclusion (one would expect the HR increase to be even higher with 10 minute testing).

Half of the 123 healthy young people had an HR increase of 33 or higher. 5% had an increase of 50.9 of higher.

lycaena, Sean, Deanne NZ and 3 others like this.
  5. ME/CFS Skeptic

Where does the idea that >30bpm increase during tilt testing is pathologic came from?

Does anyone know how this threshold was justified or where it was first used?

lycaena, Wyva, alktipping and 7 others like this.
  6. Nightsong

Nightsong Senior Member (Voting Rights)

The original criterion in the 1993 Schondorf-Low paper was 2SD above the mean for a sex-matched control population which excluded children and adolescents. I'm not sure who originally proposed the 30bpm value but in the 2011 consensus statement the definition is characterized by a sustained heart rate increment of 30 beats/minute within 10 min of standing or head-up tilt. . . For individuals aged 12–19 years the required increment is at least 40 beats/minute.

I don't have the energy to check right now but the history is fairly well-documented in the Gall et al. "Postural Tachycardia Syndrome" book.

Lilas, alktipping, EndME and 4 others like this.
  7. ME/CFS Skeptic

Thanks. Does anyone have access to this paper? Haven't been able to find it online.

8. Jonathan Edwards

Jonathan Edwards Senior Member (Voting Rights)

9. Nightsong

This paper (link) may also be of interest:
    Also, of some potential interest given the use of POTS criteria in paediatric populations - from a paediatric study (link):
    And an older study in adolescents:

Last edited: Jun 16, 2024
    Lilas, ME/CFS Skeptic, EndME and 3 others like this.
  10. alktipping

alktipping Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I think that patients who have no previous experience with this test will have raised heart beats simply because it is a new procedure to them and do not fully understand everything that will happen . results would be skewed by this.

11. ME/CFS Skeptic

Thanks for the useful references @Nightsong

Found some other ones too:

Orthostatic heart rate does not predict symptomatic burden in pediatric patients with chronic orthostatic intolerance - PubMed (nih.gov)
    Orthostatic intolerance without postural tachycardia: how much dysautonomia? - PubMed (nih.gov)
    Higher heart rate increments on head-up tilt in control subjects are not associated with autonomic dysfunction - PubMed (nih.gov)

12. SNT Gatchaman

SNT Gatchaman Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Psst

13. ME/CFS Skeptic

Peter Trewhitt, Hutan, Trish and 2 others like this.
  14. SNT Gatchaman

SNT Gatchaman Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Oh LOL. I've DM'ed you.

15. Nightsong

I actually haven't come across a paper that tries to assess pre-test apprehension in head-up tilt, although while searching yesterday I found a Roma et al. paper that briefly considered the potential effects while performing passive-standing tests in POTS patients:

16. ME/CFS Skeptic

This abstract from a German study did 10 repeated tests and found that it did not lead to stable results.
    Intra- and interindividual reproducibility of heart rate variations in the tilt-table test - PubMed (nih.gov)

17. ME/CFS Skeptic

I suspect that study forms the justification for the > 40 bpm threshold for children, even though it showed that 5% of healthy controls had a HR increase higher than 42 bpm.

The study not included healthy controls but also more than 600 children who were referred with diagnoses of orthostatic intolerance, lightheadedness, orthostatic tachycardia, and postural tachycardia. Then they compared to two and the difference was minimal. At the 10 minute point the 22 healthy controls even had a higher HR increase than the patients with orthostatic symptoms.

upload_2024-6-17_15-11-8.png

The authors write:
    Source: https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/abs/pii/S0022347611008845

18. ME/CFS Skeptic

Same finding here: 9 of the 15 controls (60%) had an HR increase that was higher than 30 bpm after 10 minute passive tilt table testing. With a 10 minute standing test, 5 (33%) met the POT criterium.
    They proposed to increase the HR cutoff to 37 bpm which resulted in a sensitivity of 40% and a specificity of 73%. That means that 60% of the POTS patients would no longer meet that threshold, while 27% of the healthy controls would still do.

Instead of requiring a new threshold those numbers show that orthostatic tachycardia testing cannot reliable discriminate between those with orthostatic symptoms and healthy controls.

Last edited: Jun 17, 2024
  19. Nightsong

I've found an earlier reference than the 2011 consensus statement for the use of a 30 bpm threshold: this 1999 follow-up paper by Low et al.
    ETA: I'm not sure that that paediatric study could have formed the basis for the 40 bpm recommendation in the consensus statement since it was published on October 13 2011 and the consensus statement was published on March 24 2011.

Last edited: Jun 17, 2024
  20. ME/CFS Skeptic