Possible Application of Melatonin in Long COVID 2022, Cardinali et al

Discussion in 'Long Covid research' started by Sly Saint, Nov 7, 2022.

Tags:
  1. Sly Saint

Sly Saint Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Abstract
    Clinical sequelae and symptoms for a considerable number of COVID-19 patients can linger for months beyond the acute stage of SARS-CoV-2 infection, “long COVID”. Among the long-term consequences of SARS-CoV-2 infection, cognitive issues (especially memory loss or “brain fog”), chronic fatigue, myalgia, and muscular weakness resembling myalgic encephalomyelitis/chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS) are of importance. Melatonin may be particularly effective at reducing the signs and symptoms of SARS-CoV-2 infection due to its functions as an antioxidant, anti-inflammatory, and immuno-modulatory agent.

Melatonin is also a chronobiotic medication effective in treating delirium and restoring the circadian imbalance seen in COVID patients in the intensive care unit. Additionally, as a cytoprotector, melatonin aids in the prevention of several COVID-19 comorbidities, including diabetes, metabolic syndrome, and ischemic and non-ischemic cardiovascular diseases. This narrative review discusses the application of melatonin as a neuroprotective agent to control cognitive deterioration (“brain fog”) and pain in the ME/CFS syndrome-like documented in long COVID. Further studies on the therapeutic use of melatonin in the neurological sequelae of SARS-CoV-2 infection are warranted.

https://www.mdpi.com/2218-273X/12/11/1646/htm

2. Denise

Denise Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I am not sure if the authors have considered that quite a few people with ME (mentioned in the article) take melatonin to try to regulate their sleep and yet it has NO effect on cognition, myalgia, fatigue, PEM, etc.....
    Goodness knows it'd be great if there were such a simple treatment for Long COVID, but I am not sure this is it...
    (I'd be happy to be proven wrong.)

RedFox, alktipping, Lilas and 6 others like this.
  3. BrightCandle

BrightCandle Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Melatonin is used by lots of ME/CFS patients and frankly it does nothing other than help get rid of the insomnia and allow people to get to sleep (not to stay that way unfortunately). This is not worth investigating its got a lot of people taking it and its not showing widespread recovery at all.

Hutan, NelliePledge, RedFox and 6 others like this.
  4. DokaGirl

DokaGirl Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I've taken melatonin for years. It helps me get to sleep, but doesn't prevent early waking.

It has never helped with any of my other symptoms of ME.

Hutan, NelliePledge, RedFox and 6 others like this.
  5. ukxmrv

ukxmrv Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Melatonin helps me get to sleep but it doesn't appear to have any other effects I can see. It only works if I keep taking it.

6. Mij

Mij Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Melatonin and LDN put me in an agitated depressive state. Made my sleep worse.

Hutan, alktipping, Lilas and 5 others like this.
  7. NelliePledge

NelliePledge Moderator Staff Member

Melatonin helps me get off to sleep earlier than I would do without it under my normal conditions, it has no impact when I have PEM wired insomnia.

Hutan, DokaGirl, alktipping and 3 others like this.