Post-COVID—More than chronic fatigue? 2023 Ulf Seifart

Discussion in 'Long Covid research' started by Andy, Apr 28, 2023.

1. Andy

Andy Committee Member

After the first COVID-19 survivors were medically treated in Germany from spring 2020 onwards, various courses of the disease emerged that, in addition to the acute infection, led to prolonged symptoms (long COVID), but also to a symptomatic course beyond 12 weeks, which is referred to as “post-COVID syndrome” (PCS). Currently, the incidence of PCS is estimated to be approximately 15% of all symptomatically infected patients, although over- or underestimations may occur due to the soft definition and lack of control groups. The etiology of PCS is currently unknown.

The following pathogenetic processes are discussed in particular: an endothelial dysfunction with microcirculatory disturbances and subsequent organ damage, a residual virus or virus particles, and/or an excessive autoimmune process. Due to the large number of organs that may be affected, PCS presents as a very complex clinical picture with up to 200 described symptoms. An evidence-based causal therapy for PCS has not yet been established. The guideline-based inpatient rehabilitation measures adapted to the individual patient resources have proven to be an effective therapy and should therefore be involved in the therapeutic concept at an early stage.

Post-COVID syndrome is a multicomplex disease that can have a considerable impact on the quality of life, but also on the professional performance of the affected patients. Thus, it is clearly more than just a chronic fatigue syndrome. In the interest of our patients, treating physicians should take this disease seriously, clarify the differential diagnoses, and provide sensitive therapeutic care.

Open access, https://link.springer.com/article/10.1007/s00059-023-05170-w

2. Sean

Sean Moderator Staff Member

So, they are going to sacrifice the ME/CFS patients to the psychosomatic gods in the foolish hope it will save their PSS patients?

3. NelliePledge

NelliePledge Moderator Staff Member

Wow. Try reading it out loud and listen to what you’re saying.

To be extremely generous it is just about possible that “ just” means simply that he’s referring to lung issues being an additional factor.

But 99.99% of people will understand that wording refers to his belief that “just a chronic fatigue syndrome” isn’t a serious illness.

hopefully someone in Germany will take it upon themselves to provide some education to this person.

4. Simbindi

Simbindi Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Yep. For most peop1e, inc1uding many who have been given the 'CFS' 1abe1 by their doctors, ME/CFS is just 'tired a11 the time'.

ahimsa, EzzieD, Shadrach Loom and 5 others like this.
  5. Simbindi

Simbindi Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Yes. It's hard to read that any other way. So it's perfect1y fine to not take 'CFS' patients serious1y, ignore their differentia1 diagnoses and not provide 'sensitive care'...(i.e. carry on as norma1 with them).

ahimsa, EzzieD, Hutan and 6 others like this.
  6. rvallee

rvallee Senior Member (Voting Rights)

When you have no idea what ME/CFS but decide to somehow compare to, literally using the same arguments we've always pointed out, even basically describing ME as it is commonly described, but not being aware since they're anchored on an invalid definition of "just chronic fatigue".

Don't you just love the incredible attention to details in medicine? It is so awe-inspiring.

It's just dripping with awareness and attention to details:
    This is just completely false, they are, in fact, not effective at all, and, in fact, were developed about us, where they are equally ineffective.

Truthiness. It's Truthiness everywhere. Unless they stick to human biology, it's just a stream of nonsense and inability to pay attention to basic details.

7. RedFox

RedFox Senior Member (Voting Rights)

It's obvious that the author doesn't understand what ME is.
    If he did, he'd know that ME was also a severe disease.

This is why ME should never be referred to as chronic fatigue syndrome. It confuses everyone, even scientists. It's not tiredness. It's a devastating disease of exertion intolerance.