Quantum Dot Biomimetic for SARS-CoV-2 to Interrogate Blood–Brain Barrier Damage Relevant to NeuroCOVID Brain Inflammation 2023, Chiang et al

Discussion in 'Long Covid research' started by Sly Saint, Aug 8, 2023.

1. Sly Saint

Sly Saint Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Abstract
    [​IMG]
    Despite limited evidence for infection of SARS-CoV-2 in the central nervous system, cognitive impairment is a common complication reported in “recovered” COVID-19 patients. Identification of the origins of these neurological impairments is essential to inform therapeutic designs against them. However, such studies are limited, in part, by the current status of high-fidelity probes to visually investigate the effects of SARS-CoV-2 on the system of blood vessels and nerve cells in the brain, called the neurovascular unit. Here, we report that nanocrystal quantum dot micelles decorated with spike protein (COVID-QDs) are able to interrogate neurological damage due to SARS-CoV-2. In a transwell co-culture model of the neurovascular unit, exposure of brain endothelial cells to COVID-QDs elicited an inflammatory response in neurons and astrocytes without direct interaction with the COVID-QDs. These results provide compelling evidence of an inflammatory response without direct exposure to SARS-CoV-2-like nanoparticles. Additionally, we found that pretreatment with a neuro-protective molecule prevented endothelial cell damage resulting in substantial neurological protection. These results will accelerate studies into the mechanisms by which SARS-CoV-2 mediates neurologic dysfunction.

https://pubs.acs.org/doi/full/10.1021/acsanm.3c02719

EndME and Sean like this.
  2. Creekside

Creekside Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I don't really understand the science behind the research, but I like how the graphics anthropomorphosise the glial cells. The astrocyte looks like it's calmly talking to a friend, then the friend grows lumps and other injuries, so the astrocyte panics.

Hey, I'll try to imagine my astrocytes looking like the calm version. I'm sure some psychologists will think that's a great plan for ME treatment.

alktipping likes this.