Sleep and circadian rhythm alterations in [ME/CFS] and [LC] and its association with cardiovascular risk factors..., Zeron-Rugerio et al, 2024

Discussion in 'ME/CFS research' started by Nightsong, Jul 22, 2024 at 6:24 PM.

1. Nightsong

Nightsong Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Sleep and circadian rhythm alterations in myalgic encephalomyelitis/chronic fatigue syndrome and post-COVID fatigue syndrome and its association with cardiovascular risk factors: A prospective cohort study

Abstract
    This study aimed to investigate circadian rhythm manifestations in Myalgic Encephalomyelitis/Chronic Fatigue Syndrome (ME/CFS) patients (including a subpopulation of long-COVID patients) and matched healthy controls while also exploring their association with cardiovascular health variables. Thirty-one ME/CFS patients (75% females), 23 individuals diagnosed with post-COVID ME/CFS (56% females) and 31 matched healthy controls (68% females) were enrolled in this study. Demographic and clinical characteristics were assessed using validated self-reported outcome measures. Actigraphy data, collected over one week, were used to analyze the 24-h profiles of wrist temperature, motor activity, and sleep circadian variables in the study participants. Associations between lipid profile with endothelial dysfunction biomarkers (such as endothelin-1, ICAM-1 and VCAM-1) and with sleep and circadian variables were also studied. No differences were found in these variables between the two group of patients. Patients showed lower activity and worse sleep quality than matched healthy controls, together with a worse lipid profile than controls, that was associated with disturbances in the circadian temperature rhythm. ICAM-1 levels were associated with plasma lipids in healthy controls, but not in patients, who showed higher levels of endothelin-1 and VCAM-1. These findings suggest that lipid profiles in ME/CFS are linked to disrupted circadian rhythms and sleep patterns, likely due to endothelial dysfunction. Furthermore, they highlight the intricate relationship between sleep, circadian rhythms, and cardiovascular health in this condition.

Chronobiology International - https://www.tandfonline.com/doi/full/10.1080/07420528.2024.2380020

Milo, Peter Trewhitt, Sean and 4 others like this.
  2. Hutan

Hutan Moderator Staff Member

It's not open access. The Castro-Marrera in the author list is the same one who has been involved in some less than good papers, although there are other authors.

It's a good sized study and the measures are interesting. I think a week of actigraphy is not long enough to minimise the bias created by being part of a study.

From what I can work out, there were no differences in 24 hour activity, 24 hour wrist temperature, sleep and circadian variables, lipid profile and an unspecified number of endothelial dysfunction biomarkers (including endothelian-1, ICAM-1 and VCAM-1) between the non-Covid ME/CFS and Covid ME/CFS groups.

But they did find some differences between the two groups of patients combined and the healthy controls. It looks like patients had lower activity levels, worse sleep quality, a worse lipid profile and higher levels of endothelin-1 and VCAM-1. Without the detail of the study, it's hard to know exactly what the differences were.

There's a similar study here
    Circadian skin temperature rhythm and dysautonomia in [ME/CFS]: ... endothelin-1 in vascular dysregulation, 2023, Cambras et al
    done by some of the same people and with similar results.

Milo, Peter Trewhitt, Sean and 3 others like this.
  3. Hutan

Hutan Moderator Staff Member