The Adaptive Force as potential biomechanical parameter in the recovery process of patients with long COVID 2022 Schaefer,Bittmann

Discussion in 'Long Covid research' started by Sly Saint, Nov 22, 2022.

1. Sly Saint

Sly Saint Senior Member (Voting Rights)

preprint

Abstract
    Neuromuscular symptoms in long COVID patients are common. Since adequate diagnostics are still missing, investigating muscle function might be beneficial. The holding capacity (maximal isometric Adaptive Force; AFisomax) was previously suggested to be especially vulnerable for impairments. This longitudinal, non-clinical study aimed to investigate the AF in long COVID patients in recovery process. AF parameters of elbow/hip flexors were assessed in 17 patients at three timepoints (pre: long COVID state, post: immediately after first treatment, end: recovery) by an objectified manual muscle test. The tester applied an increasing force on the limb of the patient, who had to resist isometrically for as long as possible. The intensity of 13 common symptoms were queried. At pre, patients started to lengthen their muscles at ~50% of the maximal AF (AFmax), which was then reached during eccentric motion, indicating unstable adaptation. At post and end, AFisomax increased significantly to ~99% and 100% of AFmax, respectively, reflecting stable adaptation. AFmax was statistically similar for all three timepoints. Symptoms intensity decreased significantly from pre to end. In conclusion, maximal holding capacity seems to be impaired in long COVID patients and increases with substantial health improvement. AFisomax might be a suitable sensitive functional parameter to assess long COVID patients and to support therapy process.

https://www.preprints.org/manuscript/202211.0400/v1

Peter Trewhitt, CRG and Trish like this.
  2. rvallee

rvallee Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Use for Force jokes aside, this is a great way to deteriorate someone with PEM.

And this is simply not a valid way to look at any of this. It means nothing to improve on some arbitrary exercise. I mentioned not long ago that I've taken up regular one-legged balance exercise, as I was becoming too wobbly on my legs.

It's definitely improved. I can now rather easily stand on one leg or the other, and keep my balance by raising and moving the other one around. I've improved on this specific exercise. I could barely do it at first while keeping my balance and now it's easy.

So what? This means absolutely nothing, I am in no way more functional, actually this is taking energy away from other things, I have been doing a bit less cleaning up because of it.

This is classic having your nose too close to one isolated part of the problem and only seeing the small bit right in front. The outcome is not the process, damnit. People don't become rich by gradually buying more expensive stuff and not looking at their bank account.