Woman with infected blood told for decades she was hypochondriac, Times (UK), May/2024

Discussion in 'Other health news and research' started by JohnTheJack, May 18, 2024.

1. JohnTheJack

JohnTheJack Moderator Staff Member

‘Four of us were infected blood victims — I’m the only one still alive’
    Kaya Burgess
    The Times (of London) 17/05/2024

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/...hat-went-wrong-the-other-three-died-dsvf060fs

Headline not referring to woman whose story is told later in article.

'While many have been fighting for answers for decades, for Tracey McWilliams, 63, from Bournemouth the whole concept of the infected blood scandal is “all very new to me”.

For decades she suffered from a range of debilitating symptoms including “horrendous” itching, night sweats, fatigue, low mood and brain fog, but doctors repeatedly told her it must be down to iron deficiency, lactose intolerance, fibromyalgia, the menopause or simply the rigours of being a mother.

She found herself having to keep “packing jobs in” because they would leave her so exhausted that she would “end up in bed the next day … literally crippled with pain”. Her family had to give up their home as they could not afford the mortgage repayments and she was treated like a hypochondriac.

It was only in March last year, on moving to a new GP, that her symptoms were finally traced back 35 years to blood transfusions — 36 units in total — that she received after giving birth in 1988.

She discovered that, for three decades, she had been carrying hepatitis C, a virus that can cause extreme liver damage and cancer if left untreated for too long. Hepatitis C was only formally identified in 1989 and the symptoms are often slow to show and easily confused with other conditions. It is thought that hundreds of others may, like McWilliams, be unknowingly living with the virus.'

This whole scandalous story is full of just awful, terrible accounts of what happened.

MeSci, AliceLily, Sean and 17 others like this.
  2. Ash

Ash Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Do you think you might stumble across web archive versions of this article somewhere?

3. JohnTheJack

Try this.
    https://t.co/qEmCoNbT1E

4. Ash

It wants me to pay up and subscribe, I won’t remember to unsubscribe so I am not keen.

5. JohnTheJack

6. Yann04

Yann04 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Still paywalled unfortunately

7. JohnTheJack

OK. Maybe it's because the only link I have is the paywalled one as my browser automatically logs me in or something. Maybe someone else can do it.

8. Nightsong

Nightsong Senior Member (Voting Rights)

9. Ash

Going back to the content @JohnTheJack, this is such a horrific and yet familiar story isn’t it, an organisation of some kind very powerful like a large corporation or a state body, inflicts massive harms then adds insult or rather years of physical and mental torture as part of a system to cover up the damage and avoid the responsibility for preventing harm or making reparations.

alktipping, EzzieD, Hutan and 4 others like this.
  10. rvallee

rvallee Senior Member (Voting Rights)

How many times does this have to happen before something gets done about it? There are millions of documented cases of harm inflicted by a hasty diagnosis of acronym syndrome. Most of it is simply dismissed as inconsequential, doubling down on the initial harm, but there is plenty that isn't. There are many recorded deaths from treatable issues that were caught too late.

And not only does it give almost no one in the profession any cause for concern, this practice keeps expanding. There is never any acknowledgement of this in the psychosomatic literature, they keep on pretending that such things don't happen anymore. Just as they always have.

Making the same mistake over and over again is no longer a mistake. When it's done by professionals, it's dereliction of duty. When it's done on this scale, it's criminal negligence.

MeSci, Sean, alktipping and 8 others like this.