3x daily consumption of a novel, premeal shot containing a low dose of whey protein increases time in euglycemia in TYP 2 Diabetes

Discussion in 'Other health news and research' started by Mij, Jun 1, 2022.

1. Mij

Mij Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Full Title:

Thrice daily consumption of a novel, premeal shot containing low dose whey protein increases time in euglycemia during 7 days of free-living in individuals with TYP 2 diabetes, 2022, Kieran Smith et al

Abstract
    Introduction During acute feeding trials, consuming a large dose of whey protein (WP) before meals improves postprandial glucose regulation in people with type 2 diabetes. It is unclear if the reported benefits of premeal WP supplementation are translatable to everyday care or are associated with clinically meaningful, real-world glycemic outcomes. This study examined the application of a novel, premeal shot containing a low dose of WP on parameters of free-living glycemic control in people with type 2 diabetes.

Research design and methods In a randomized, placebo-controlled, single-blind crossover design, 18 insulin naive individuals with type 2 diabetes ((mean±SD) age, 50±6 years; HbA1c (glycated hemoglobin), 7.4%±0.8%; duration of diabetes, 6±5 years) consumed a ready-to-drink WP shot (15 g of protein) or a nutrient-depleted placebo beverage 10 min before breakfast, lunch, and dinner over a 7-day free-living period. Free-living glucose control was measured by blinded continuous glucose monitoring and determined by the percentage of time spent above range (>10 mmol/L), in euglycemic range (3.9–10.0 mmol/L), below range (<3.9 mmol/L) and mean glucose concentrations.

Results Mealtime WP supplementation reduced the prevalence of daily hyperglycemia by 8%±19% (30%±25% vs 38%±28%, p<0.05), thereby enabling a 9%±19% (~2 hours/day) increase in the time spent in euglycemia (p<0.05). Mean 24-hour blood glucose concentrations were 0.6±1.2 mmol/L lower during WP compared with placebo (p<0.05). Similar improvements in glycemic control were observed during the waken period with premeal WP supplementation (p<0.05), whereas nocturnal glycemic control was unaffected (p>0.05). Supplemental compliance/acceptance was high (>98%), and no adverse events were reported.

Conclusions Consuming a novel premeal WP shot containing 15 g of protein before each main meal reduces the prevalence of daily hyperglycemia, thereby enabling a greater amount of time spent in euglycemic range per day over 7 days of free-living in people with type 2 diabetes.

https://drc.bmj.com/content/10/3/e002820

https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2022/05/220527085232.htm

Peter Trewhitt, Wonko and DokaGirl like this.
  2. Arnie Pye

Arnie Pye Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I thought high protein diets were implicated in kidney damage and disease. I don't know what constitutes "high protein" though.

Wonko and DokaGirl like this.
  3. Wonko

Wonko Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Google suggest 45g of protein is an extra 2 portions of meat/fish.

Given what they class as a portion I wouldn't say most people consuming an extra 45g were at risk of health issues from doing so.

I'm not sure how meaningful their results are tho.

4. Arnie Pye

Arnie Pye Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I was thinking about 15g protein, three times a day, plus normal meals. It could add up to quite a lot of protein.

5. Wonko

Wonko Senior Member (Voting Rights)

3 times 15g is 45g, and I did say 'extra'.

Depending on who you.believe it may be as much as an extra 250kcal, so 'snack' sized in terms of calories.

Compared with what many people consume, in extra protein, for health reasons, it's a fairly small amount extra.

I would imagine, as the test was 'free eating', that it's likely displacing snacks (protein tends to be more satisfying that carbs) and this may be why the BG levels are fractionally lower.

Hutan, Arnie Pye, Trish and 1 other person like this.