A biopsychosocial network model of fatigue in rheumatoid arthritis: a systematic review, 2019, Geenen and Dures

Discussion in 'Other health news and research' started by Andy, Nov 5, 2019.

1. Andy

Andy Committee Member

Open access, https://academic.oup.com/rheumatology/article/58/Supplement_5/v10/5611823

rvallee and ScottTriGuy like this.
  2. Trish

Trish Moderator Staff Member

Is this just psychologists creating work for themselves?

3. Trish

merylg, diwa, alktipping and 7 others like this.
  4. obeat

obeat Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I think so.

merylg, Sean, alktipping and 5 others like this.
  5. Jonathan Edwards

Jonathan Edwards Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Yes.
    Moreover it further emphasises the fact that the people who least understand psychology are the psychologists.

6. Jonathan Edwards

I think they are both part of some sort of special issue on fatigue in rheumatic disease.

The whole thing looks like psychosociorheumatoimmunobabble.
    The interesting question is why what was a lively scientific speciality (rheumatology) in the 1990s became a stagnant pool of recycled drivel.

merylg, Mithriel, TrixieStix and 9 others like this.
  7. chrisb

chrisb Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Presumably recycling must be better for the academic environment.

Mithriel, alktipping, Amw66 and 4 others like this.
  8. Snow Leopard

Snow Leopard Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Never trust retrospective/case control studies that rely entirely on questionnaires.

9. rvallee

rvallee Senior Member (Voting Rights)

What are the stated benefits of redefining fatigue as meaning many different things? Has anyone ever bothered justifying that? Fatigue has both a common meaning and a medical meaning, the distinction mostly being down to a severity scale. What is the point in giving a unique concept multiple varied interpretations? I don't even understand the point of this old-style natural philosophy of just discussing various bits that have no evidence and reaching conclusions that the thing that interests them should be funded and studied.

BPS folks remind me of people who crash a potluck, bring nothing, are rude and generally occupy the whole atmosphere by talking loudly among themselves. Nobody invited them or even wants there but they still come in and bring something nobody wants or asked for but at the end of the party their conclusions is they should come back next time.
    Except they don't. It's science 101 that correlation does not mean causation. They admit all they have is correlations. This is just their personal opinion and has nothing to do with the data they analyzed.

merylg and alktipping like this.
  10. JemPD

JemPD Senior Member (Voting Rights)

You retired ;):whistle::D

alktipping and Trish like this.
  11. Jonathan Edwards

Not quite, I retired in 2010 because the stagnancy had already been going for ten years.

12. TrixieStix

TrixieStix Senior Member (Voting Rights)

As someone who is significantly disabled by autoimmune conditions (previously misdiagnosed with ME/CFS & Fibromyalgia) my experience has been that in my case there is no correlation whatsoever between my fatigue and my mood, emotional state, personal problems, etc. Over the past 6 years I have been thru all sorts of trials and tribulations in my life (poverty being a constant one). The only thing that finally improved my level of fatigue is appropriate diagnosis and pharmaceutical treatment. Now that I've experienced improvement and have a new fatigue 'baseline' the only things so far that have the ability to significantly worsen my fatigue (temporarily) have been sun exposure, viruses, and seasonal changes (my baseline fatigue worsens in the fall/winter months).

Before my AI diagnosis I wondered all the time if somehow I was psychologically adding to (or even manufacturing) my fatigue in some way or if my living situation or financial stress was. After the past 2 years of appropriate medical treatment I now feel incredibly confident that this is absolutely NOT the case.

I think that when your fatigue improves significantly it becomes much more clear what 'fatigue' is, in the physical sense. With improvement comes more clarity of what you were/are experiencing. Improvement has given me the ability to better understand what it was I was experiencing these past years. When I was in the midst of it, things felt muddled and confusing. I am now able to sense the 'borders' that separate my different symptoms (if that makes sense, hard to explain). I never could do that before.

I think this is probably true for many medical issues people experience. Before we become ill or maimed we don't really have a reason to closely pay attention to our body and how it feels all the time. Once that switch is flipped from healthy to sick/injured, over time it becomes difficult to remember what 'normal' felt like. So when you do experience significant improvement you gain much greater perspective. A perspective that was unavailable to me before I experienced improvement. As the saying goes..... hindsight is 20/20.

Am I making sense here? I hope so.

Last edited: Nov 6, 2019
    merylg, Ebb Tide, voner and 8 others like this.
  13. Trish

Thank you @TrixieStix. A very interesting post. Makes a lot of sense to me.

merylg and TrixieStix like this.