A case of post-COVID-19 ME/CFS characterized by post-exertional malaise and low serum acylcarnitine level 2023 Jinushi et al

Discussion in 'ME/CFS research' started by Andy, Feb 16, 2023.

1. Andy

Andy Committee Member

Full title: A case of post-COVID-19 myalgic encephalomyelitis/chronic fatigue syndrome characterized by post-exertional malaise and low serum acylcarnitine level

Abstract
    COVID-19 afflicts patients with acute symptoms and longer term sequelae. One of the sequelae is myalgic encephalomyelitis/chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), which is often difficult to diagnose, having no established tests. In this article, we synthesize information from literature reviews on patients with ME/CSF that developed after recovery from COVID-19.

Open access, https://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1002/ccr3.6930

2. InitialConditions

InitialConditions Senior Member (Voting Rights)

o_O

rvallee likes this.
  3. Trish

Trish Moderator Staff Member

The idea of the paper was to find the symptoms of Long Covid that would lead to a diagnosis of ME/CFS.

The nett result seems to be a superficial look through some old ME/CFS research papers, and the conclusion that PEM is key, and can be treated with CBT/GET, and 'there is common agreement that ME/CFS is associated with changes in acylcarnitine and l-carnitine homeostasis', (and a finding of low acetylcarnitine in their one Long Covid patient).

Neither of which is true.

Not exactly groundbreaking science. How did this get published without them at least checking with a few more patients.

ahimsa, RedFox, alktipping and 6 others like this.