Opinion A language of Ill Feelings: defining the undefined in Alice Hattrick’s Ill Feelings (2021), 2024, Branco

Discussion in 'ME/CFS research' started by Dolphin, Jul 12, 2024.

1. Dolphin

Dolphin Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Branco, M. (2024). A language of Ill Feelings: defining the undefined in Alice Hattrick’s Ill Feelings (2021). Journal of Gender Studies, 1–11. https://doi.org/10.1080/09589236.2024.2360492

ABSTRACT

In Ill Feelings (2021), Alice Hattrick shares their experience and history of ME/CFS, a chronic illness that not only dictates their own life but also their mother’s.

Drawing on their own diary entries, medical documents, and literary and artistic material, Hattrick blends the voices of women whose illnesses cannot be cured in a standardized medical fashion, because their origins remain unknown.

Hattrick’s narrative echoes the reactions of disbelief individuals dealing with Long COVID and other forms of post-viral fatigue have experienced.

It is a defiant account of illness that resists the gendered nature of medical diagnosis and seeks to undo the structures that continue to question and condemn women patients to a life in hiding.

In this article, I explore the ways in which Hattrick re-establishes truth to the illness narratives of women.

Building on knowledge that has shaped the medical humanities, I argue that Hattrick redefines what doctors have termed their hysterical language, one they share with their mother, to create a network of support for women that encourages them to speak their language of ill feelings, find understanding, and thereby oppose institutional medicine.

KEYWORDS:

RedFox, Amw66, Sean and 1 other person like this.