Preprint A Narrative Review on Gut Microbiome Disturbances and Microbial Preparations in ME/CFS: Implications for Long COVID, 2024, Jurek & Castro-Marrero

Discussion in 'ME/CFS research' started by Dolphin, May 3, 2024.

1. Dolphin

Dolphin Senior Member (Voting Rights)

https://www.preprints.org/manuscript/202404.2021/v1

A Narrative Review on Gut Microbiome Disturbances and Microbial Preparations in ME/CFS: Implications for Long COVID
    Joanna Michalina Jurek
    * and
    [​IMG]Jesus Castro-Marrero

Version 1 : Received: 30 April 2024 / Approved: 30 April 2024 / Online: 1 May 2024 (03:01:57 CEST)

How to cite: Jurek, J.M.; Castro-Marrero, J. A Narrative Review on Gut Microbiome Disturbances and Microbial Preparations in ME/CFS: Implications for Long COVID. Preprints 2024, 2024042021.

https://doi.org/10.20944/preprints202404.2021.v1

Abstract

Myalgic Encephalomyelitis, also known as Chronic Fatigue Syndrome (ME/CFS) and Long COVID are characterized by debilitating post-exertional malaise and other core symptoms related to immune dysregulation resultant from post-viral infection, including mitochondrial dysfunction, chronic neuroinflammation and gut dysbiosis.

The reported associations between altered microbiota composition and cardinal symptoms of ME/CFS and Long COVID, suggesting that use of microbial preparations, such as probiotics, by restoring the homeostasis of the brain-immune-gut axis may help in the management of symptoms in both conditions.

Therefore, this review aims to investigate the implications of alerted gut microbiome and assess the evidence supporting use of microbial-based preparations, including probiotics, synbiotics, postbiotics alone and/or in combination with other nutraceuticals in the management of fatigue, inflammation, as well as neuropsychiatric and gastrointestinal symptoms among patients with ME/CFS and Long COVID.

Keywords
    probiotics; gut microbiota; gut-brain axis; chronic fatigue syndrome; myalgic encephalomyelitis; long covid; prebiotics; dietary supplementation; antioxidants; inflammation; psychobiotics

Sean, Peter Trewhitt, EzzieD and 2 others like this.
  2. Creekside

Creekside Senior Member (Voting Rights)

While I think that studying the link between gut microbiome and symptoms, and the effect of microbiome-altering treatments could be useful, doing a narrative review of a few, probably weak, studies is probably not going to provide great insight. At best it will probably conclude that "probiotics help a very small percentage of PWME or LC, but there's no way to tell in advance which ones will be helped by which method". Of course, that sounds negative, so that won't be the published conclusion. I think it's more likely to tout the amazing benefits of psychobiotics or other nutraceuticals.

A lot of those keywords are new to me, and seem a bit flakey (lacking in supporting evidence). I can't even find a definition for "paraproulated", which the wiki link for postbiotics used.

Sean, alktipping and Peter Trewhitt like this.
  3. John Mac

John Mac Senior Member (Voting Rights)