A Novel Integrative Psychotherapy for Psychogenic Nonepileptic Seizures Based on the Biopsychosocial Model, 2020, Ben-Naim et al

Discussion in 'Other psychosomatic news and research' started by Andy, Apr 15, 2020.

1. Andy

Andy Committee Member

Paywall, https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/abs/pii/S0033318220300475
    Sci hub, https://sci-hub.tw/10.1016/j.psym.2020.02.006

Peter Trewhitt and Trish like this.
  2. Hoopoe

Hoopoe Senior Member (Voting Rights)

The results do not support claims of effectivenes because the study is of very low quality.

Curiously, most participants have "epileptic seizures" listed as comorbidity. Presumably that means the authors believe they have both organic and psychogenic seizures. Is there a simpler explanation for this than some mysterious psychogenic cause?

Mithriel, Wonko, rvallee and 7 others like this.
  3. rvallee

rvallee Senior Member (Voting Rights)

That's not therapy. And it's not novel, it's been done dozens of times in various combinations, none of which add up to anything "novel" either. Adding a fake mustache to something does not make it "novel". Pretending that the same tired old nonsense is new is just ridiculous.

lycaena and Mithriel like this.
  4. Mithriel

Mithriel Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Even back when it was called pseudoepilepsy it was commonest among people with documented biological epilepsy. I looked into it at the time and the reason the distinction was made seemed to be that pseudoepileptic seizures did not cause physical harm. One description was that people did not get burned because they missed the cooker. It made me think of ducking witches!

How could they detect a drop in psychogenic seizures if the participants also had epileptic seizures?

Of course, I don't trust their figures because BPS studies so often use awful scales and manipulate the numbers to get the result they want. That may be a fault on my part.

Andy likes this.