Trial Report Absence of BOLD adaptation in chronic fatigue syndrome revealed by task functional MRI, 2024, Schönberg

Discussion in 'ME/CFS research' started by Dolphin, Aug 8, 2024.

1. Dolphin

Dolphin Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Open access
    https://journals.sagepub.com/doi/10.1177/0271678X241270528
    Research article
    First published online August 7, 2024

Absence of BOLD adaptation in chronic fatigue syndrome revealed by task functional MRI

Laura Schönberg, Abdalla Z Mohamed, Qiang Yu, Richard A Kwiatek, Peter Del Fante, Vince D Calhoun, and Zack Y Shan https://orcid.org/0000-0002-9042-9278 zshan@usc.edu.au-4
    https://doi.org/10.1177/0271678X241270528

Neurological symptoms are central to Myalgic Encephalomyelitis/Chronic Fatigue Syndrome (ME/CFS), yet its underlying neurophysiological mechanisms remain elusive.

We examined a neglected aspect of task-based functional MRI, focusing on how blood oxygenation level-dependent (BOLD) signals alter during cognitive tasks in ME/CFS.

This prospective observational study utilised MRI scans on ME/CFS participants and healthy controls (HCs) with sedentary lifestyles (ACTRN12622001095752).

Participants completed two blocks of a Symbol Digit Modalities Test, with 30 trials per block split into two sets.

The fMRI signal changes between blocks and sets were compared within and between groups.

Thirty-four ME/CFS participants (38 years ± 10; 27 women) and 34 HCs (38 ± 10; 27 women), were evaluated.

In the second task block, ME/CFS participants exhibited increased activation in the right postcentral gyrus, contrasting with decreased activation in multiple regions in HCs.

These results were further confirmed by significantly higher bilateral dynamic changes (2nd vs 1st set) in the motor, sensory and cognitive cortex in ME/CFS compared to HCs and significant correlations between those changes in the left primary motor cortex with fatigue severities.

BOLD adaptation, potentially improving energy economy, was absent in ME/CFS, which may provide an underlying neurophysiological process in ME/CFS.

Last edited: Aug 8, 2024
  2. Creekside

Creekside Senior Member (Voting Rights)

A follow-up to this would be to check PWME who have had the disease for different periods of time. Does this difference show up immediately after developing ME, or is it something that develops over time? That might determine cause vs effect. Also, does the effect correlate with severity?

sebaaa, RedFox, horton6 and 13 others like this.
  3. hibiscuswahine

hibiscuswahine Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Interesting paper

4. Ravn

Ravn Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Possibly results from this grant?
    https://www.s4me.info/threads/australian-me-cfs-neuroimaging-project-receives-1-2m-govt-grant.12748/

See also this study
    https://www.s4me.info/threads/oppos...evealed-by-diffusion-mri-2024-yu-et-al.39661/

On a quick glance this looks to be a good-sized cohort by ME standards, carefully diagnosed, and with well matched controls - notably including for activity

Maybe someone with relevant expertise can comment on the quality of the method and the interpretation of the results?

5. ME/CFS Skeptic

ME/CFS Skeptic Senior Member (Voting Rights)

upload_2024-8-9_12-30-16.png

RedFox, Kitty, SNT Gatchaman and 8 others like this.
  6. Yann04

Yann04 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

7. SNT Gatchaman

SNT Gatchaman Senior Member (Voting Rights)

8. SNT Gatchaman

This looks pretty good on first read through. I thought the hypothesising and interpretation were careful. The equipment and imaging protocols are excellent (Siemens 3T Skyra, using a 64-channel head coil). Patient selection and matching very good, as commented above (with actigraphy-confirmed sedentary HCs).

The authors did note in limitations that this was part of a multi-modality assessment, so the task-functional MRI (tfMRI) was shortened compared to some stand-alone studies, meaning that BOLD adaptation might have been demonstrated if it had run longer. I don't think that's likely and the difference at the assessed timepoints seems important anyway.

MEMarge, RedFox, Ravn and 3 others like this.
  9. SNT Gatchaman

Some intro abbreviated quotes —

MEMarge, Ash, RedFox and 7 others like this.
  10. SNT Gatchaman

Some discussion abbreviated quotes —

11. Kitty

Kitty Senior Member (Voting Rights)

It does look interesting, thanks for going through it and highlighting those sections.

12. Turtle

Turtle Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I literally get a hot head when on my computer, this research could be an explanation.
    I need a break after 10 minutes to cool down, when it is hot even sooner.

MEMarge, Ash, Trish and 1 other person like this.
  13. Ravn

Ravn Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Is undergoing fMRI similar to standard MRI where you're bombarded by ear-protection-defying noise, and the machine tries to cook you from below while at the same time freeze-drying you from above?

If so, could some of the recruitment of more brain regions found here and in other fMRI studies be due to the struggle to handle the sensory onslaught on top of the cognitive task? In which case, how would you separate the effects between more resources being thrown at sensory vs cognitive processing?
    Same here. Hot and also flushed red. Don't know if it's the thinking itself that does it though. Could be the associated being more upright or even the eye muscles working hard, too.
    And I suspect it's anyone's guess if this increased blood flow to the skin could be the result of a poorly targeted attempt by the brain to get more blood up into the head region in general in the hope that some of it ends up in the brain itself

ukxmrv, Ash, Kitty and 5 others like this.
  14. Creekside

Creekside Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I didn't notice any significant noise or other stimuli during my head MRI. There was a moderate hum, but that's all. Maybe early machines were worse?

Ash, Ravn, Kitty and 1 other person like this.
  15. Kitty

Kitty Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Imagine an industrial-size tumble dryer full of paving setts.

My last one was just before the pandemic, so I don't know about the early bit.

Ash, Ravn and Ken Turnbull like this.
  16. Subtropical Island

Subtropical Island Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Maybe your hearing protection was better? Or better fitted. (With two to three layers of sound protection I think it could be much reduced but if any of them isn’t well fitted, or good quality for the types of sound, that would make a big difference).

Also whether in PEM at the time makes a huge difference.

Ash, Ravn, Kitty and 1 other person like this.
  17. Ken Turnbull

Ken Turnbull Established Member (Voting Rights)

So healthy controls could switch to a sort of automatic energy-saving mode to repeat similar tasks? That sounds handy for energy conservation, and the kind of shortcut brains employ a lot.

I wonder whether the same inability to take advantage of this shortcut has been found in any other medical conditions. (Apologies if that is covered and I missed it.)

18. forestglip

forestglip Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Yes, according to the paper:
    From the first reference:

19. Dolphin

Dolphin Senior Member (Voting Rights)

ME Research UK:

A team of researchers including Dr Zack Shan – who is currently working on a research project funded by ME Research UK, have published a paper in the Journal of Cerebral Blood Flow & Metabolism investigating whether specific signals in the brain differ between people with ME/CFS and healthy controls.

Read a summary of the study and findings here: https://tinyurl.com/mu3tx62p

Read the research paper here: https://tinyurl.com/mu2prkce

Read more about Dr Shan’s ME Research UK-funded project here: https://meres.uk/shan062info