Acute and chronic sinusitis

Discussion in 'General and other signs and symptoms' started by Dechi, Dec 9, 2017.

1. Dechi

Dechi Senior Member (Voting Rights)

i’ve had chronic sinusitis for a few years. I just had an MRI to check it and it was found that on top of the chronic sinusitis (in 3 areas) I also have acute sinusite with pus.

ENT doc put me on Clavulin 875 twice a day. She asked me if I had a cold when the MRI was done and I had none. She also wants me to use Nasonex (mometasone) long-term, to clear the inflammation in the sinuses. Not too thrilled about that but she insists.

I know I’m infected with an enterovirus, but why the constant sinusitis and pus ? Is this a sign of another infection on top of the enterovirus ? Something on top of ME ?

Just wondering if this antibiotic might improve some of my symptoms. Head feeling compressed, headaches, migraines even maybe.

I will need another MRI in 2 months and a follow-up with the doc.

Anybody else has this problem ?

merylg, Inara and Nellie like this.
  2. Melanie

Melanie Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I had an MRI and it was clear which is infuriating. I constantly feel inflamed and I swear I can smell infection and my ENT can see some redness of sinuses and signs of post nasal drip.

I go through uncontrollable sneezing once or twice a month and have an Rx nasal spray for that (can't remember the name) and I get sinus headaches and take a nasal decongestant pill for now and then.

Diagnosed with Fibromyalgia prior to getting ME/CFS and my cousin has Fibromyalgia and he has chronic sinus infections. I know Fibro and sinus infections can go hand in hand but I don't know if it is the same with ME/CFS.

Dechi likes this.
  3. Dechi

@Melanie I didn’t know about fibro and sinus infections, I’ll look into it. Thanks. I supposedly have fibro as well as ME.

4. TigerLilea

TigerLilea Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I have had sinus issues for the past 27 years now. They started not too long after I came down with ME. For the past four years I have had a yearly episode of Chronic Sinusitus which usually lasts for three or four months. The headache might dull down a bit, but it never goes away. I have had six CT scans over the years that show I have 'almost perfect' sinuses according to the last ENT I saw.

Inara, dannybex and Dechi like this.
  5. Dechi

That is strange. My CT-scan definitely shows chronic and acute inflammation, even pus. How do they explain you’re having no signs of sinusitis ?

6. Webdog

Webdog Senior Member (Voting Rights)

dannybex and Dechi like this.
  7. Dechi

@Webdog thanks a lot ! I’ll look into it. My ENT is young but closed minded. I’ll buy it online if antibiotics don’t work.

8. TigerLilea

They can't. No one knows why my sinuses swell up and I get hit with malaise for months at a time. I saw a GP at a walk-in clinic two years ago who thinks that my problem is probably allergy related. Not one single ENT out of the six ever suggested allergies. I do have allergies, however, after having testing done four different times, nothing ever shows up on testing. I'm a medical mystery. :banghead:

Dechi and Webdog like this.
  9. Dechi

I am allergic to pets and I have 2 small dogs, so I figured this might be part of it. The weirdest thing is I don’t even know what symptoms the sinusitis is bringing on. I mean if the MRI hadn’t caught it, I would have never known I had this problem. Weird !

10. TigerLilea

An MRI can catch things that you would never otherwise know about because they aren't causing any problems or symptoms. I know someone who had an MRI for their carotid artery and they found a brain tumour. It is very tiny and will probably never grow or ever be a problem, but it is there all the same.

Dechi likes this.
  11. Melanie

Melanie Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Interesing. I have some mild to modest reactions to mold, different trees and grasses. So they think this is why I have sinus issues.

Inara, TigerLilea and Dechi like this.
  12. Little Bluestem

Little Bluestem Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Not too long ago, Mayo Clinic found that (almost?) all of their chronic sinusitis patients had a fungal infection.

Inara and Dechi like this.
  13. Valentijn

Valentijn Guest

When they used controls, I think they found that a similar amount of people without sinusitis had traces of the same fungus present :p

Inara, Dechi and Little Bluestem like this.
  14. TigerLilea

That was 18 years ago.

Dechi and Little Bluestem like this.
  15. Little Bluestem

Little Bluestem Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Opps, it looks like I am pretty out-of-date. :oops:

16. Inara

Inara Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I have chronic sinusitis, too, for 4 years now I guess. I was prescribed cortisone for some weeks, which helps to get the nose free, but the sinusitis is still there. Then I was advised to do an operation which I rejected (others who had it done reported the sinusitis came back after approx. 2 years). So I still have problems and use cortisone as needed.

I have low sIgA and Igg3 and allergies - maybe something of this contributes.

I somehow accepted that it will remain.

Dechi likes this.
  17. Dechi

You were never prescribed antibiotics ? I finished my 10 day course and I think it’s actually helping.

Inara likes this.
  18. Inara

Inara Senior Member (Voting Rights)

No. Maybe I should ask my new GP about it. He seems to be more interested than anyone I met before.

Dechi likes this.