Acute and delayed response to resistance exercise leading or not leading to muscle failure (2016) Fernando Pareja‐Blanco et al

Discussion in 'Post-Exertional malaise and fatigue' started by Subtropical Island, Mar 13, 2019.

Tags:
  1. Subtropical Island

Subtropical Island Senior Member (Voting Rights)

This is not a study of ME/CFS at all (mods please move if it’s in the wrong place).

I’m interested because of the time factor in the study: they studied physiological effects of exertion over time (6hrs, 24hrs, 48hrs) in relation to level of exertion (defined in proportion to failure = max exertion) for healthy men.

https://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/pdf/10.1111/cpf.12348

Just checking if anyone already has access to this? in order to see if the change over time after the greater intensity exertion follows a different curve/form than the lesser exertion (or if it’s a similar curve but with greater amplitude leading to the longer recovery).
    Unfortunately it’s only 10 men. But there is a range of measures taken.

I think it’s important for us to really understand the effects of exertion over time in healthy people - to see if PwME are different in nature or degree.

2. Subtropical Island

It’s probably obvious that I’m new to really looking into exercise physiology.

I found this article (I’m having a very good reading day) quite interesting:
    https://www.painscience.com/articles/delayed-onset-muscle-soreness.php

It’s about DOMS = delayed onset muscle soreness (generally in active healthy people) and essentially talks about how little we do know about this part of our physiology, and a lot of the misconceptions still floating about.

So I’m increasingly wondering if we need to wait for sports science to get a good handle on athlete physiology, ...then normal person physiology, ...then sedentary physiology, ...then people with well-understood conditions, ...then ME.

3. Subtropical Island

NB I know what DOMS feels like for me (when I was fit and healthy and for a few weeks in a remission) and my illness feels distinct from that - and has a lot more symptoms. I’m not confusing the two, just wanting to get a handle on how much we know about normal before we can identify abnormal.

4. Andy

Andy Committee Member

I've thought for a while that research into DOMS may provide insight into PEM, given the similarities in delayed reaction to exertion.

Skycloud, Inara, Ravn and 2 others like this.
  5. Ravn

Ravn Senior Member (Voting Rights)

This!

And I would love to see comparison studies between PwME and healthy but severely overtrained athletes. On the face of it there is significant symptom overlap between overtraining syndrome and (exercise-induced) PEM. The question is this: is the mechanism of (exercise-induced) PEM the same as in overtraining syndrome and our problem is that we for some reason get it at a ridiculously low threshold, or are the mechanisms for the two conditions quite different?

Here is a review article on overtraining syndrome. Note how familiar the various hypotheses attempting to explain it sound: there are the glycogen hypothesis, central fatigue hypothesis, glutamine hypothesis, oxidative stress hypothesis, autonomic nervous system hypothesis, hypothalamic hypothesis and cytokine hypothesis.
    https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3435910/

@Andy, I agree. Studies comparing PwME in PEM with healthy people with DOMS could also provide valuable insights.

Skycloud, Inara, Andy and 4 others like this.
  6. Mij

Mij Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Ravn, Inara and Andy like this.