Alexander technique

Discussion in 'Other treatments' started by Haveyoutriedyoga, Jun 30, 2024 at 10:21 AM.

1. Haveyoutriedyoga

Haveyoutriedyoga Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Do you have any experience with this as a management / supportive therapy for symptoms related to living with ME/CFS (or any other illness)?

There is no reliable evidence to suggest that it treats ME/CFS or removes symptoms. Anecdotally some Internet people (or perhaps, personas) have claimed that it helps with ME/CFS symptom management. As usual a lot (not all) of these anecdotes are from people who have then learned the technique and practice it as a business.

A 2010 ME Association publication reported that survey respondents said:
    https://meassociation.org.uk/wp-content/uploads/MEA-Management-Survey-2010.pdf

I ask because I have a lot of postural issues, tension, bracing, aches and pains and am considering ways to help directly with those issues (assumption #1 - these are 'issues', assumption #2 - such a technique/therapy would sustainably improve them), and it would be a bonus if that resulted in better energy conservation (assumption #3 - it would reduce energy expenditure, and do so enough to be significant in a very small way). I also struggle to really rest, and they claim to help you learn that.

Any news, views, experiences or other comments would be good to hear. I noticed that there wasn't a thread for this, so thought it would be good to have a place to discuss it as a potentially supportive therapy (or not, as the case may well be).

MeSci, Peter Trewhitt, mango and 4 others like this.
  2. Haveyoutriedyoga

Haveyoutriedyoga Senior Member (Voting Rights)

NHS says:

3. oldtimer

oldtimer Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I think the Alexander technique is very useful for becoming aware of yourself physically which people normally aren't. I was ready to abandon my career as a violinist until I was lucky enough to find a teacher who used aspects of it.

I suppose if your aches and pains were due to postural tension and you could train yourself to use the technique it would help.

MeSci, Peter Trewhitt, mango and 4 others like this.
  4. Kitty

Kitty Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I studied it for a time, but not for ME.

I found it tiring and ultimately had to abandon it (I was working at the time, and even once a week it was too much on top of a job), but it was useful in that it helped me understand the postural differences I thought needed correcting were best left alone because they were natural for me.

MeSci, Peter Trewhitt, mango and 3 others like this.
  5. Trish

Trish Moderator Staff Member

I met someone many years ago with ME who was an Alexander teacher. She moved very carefully and sat and stood very upright, but it made no difference to her ME. I remember reading about it at the time. I gathered it was popular with actors and musicians.

MeSci, Peter Trewhitt, Kitty and 2 others like this.
  6. Arnie Pye

Arnie Pye Senior Member (Voting Rights)

The only thing I know about the Alexander Technique is that I looked into getting lessons many years ago. I don't remember the numbers now, but they were extremely expensive and way out of my price range.

7. Hutan

Hutan Moderator Staff Member

I tried a couple of classes in the first year when I still thought I just needed to get fit, or something. They were PEM-inducing, probably not so much the classes which from memory included a fair bit of lying on the ground relaxing, but more the getting ready, trying to look presentable, and getting there and back. They certainly didn't help ME/CFS symptoms. I guess a couple of classes wasn't really a fair trial but I didn't think the effort of more classes was worth it.

8. hellytheelephant

hellytheelephant Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I find ( self paced ) tai chi is good for posture, balance tension, stiffness etc. It is not a treatment for ME though.

MeSci, Peter Trewhitt, Trish and 4 others like this.