Trial Report Amitriptyline at Low-Dose and Titrated for Irritable Bowel Syndrome...a randomised, double-blind, placebo-controlled, phase 3 trial, 2023, Ford

Discussion in ''Conditions related to ME/CFS' news and research' started by Dolphin, Oct 27, 2023.

1. Dolphin

Dolphin Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Free fulltext:
    https://www.thelancet.com/journals/lancet/article/PIIS0140-6736(23)01523-4/fulltext

Lancet. 2023 Oct 16:S0140-6736(23)01523-4.
    doi: 10.1016/S0140-6736(23)01523-4. Online ahead of print.
    Amitriptyline at Low-Dose and Titrated for Irritable Bowel Syndrome as Second-Line Treatment in primary care (ATLANTIS): a randomised, double-blind, placebo-controlled, phase 3 trial
    Alexander C Ford 1, Alexandra Wright-Hughes 2, Sarah L Alderson 2, Pei-Loo Ow 2, Matthew J Ridd 3, Robbie Foy 4, Gina Bianco 2, Felicity L Bishop 5, Matthew Chaddock 6, Heather Cook 2, Deborah Cooper 4, Catherine Fernandez 2, Elspeth A Guthrie 4, Suzanne Hartley 2, Amy Herbert 3, Daniel Howdon 4, Delia P Muir 2, Taposhi Nath 2, Sonia Newman 7, Thomas Smith 2, Christopher A Taylor 2, Emma J Teasdale 5, Ruth Thornton 7, Amanda J Farrin 2, Hazel A Everitt 7; ATLANTIS trialists
    Collaborators, Affiliations
    Free article
    Abstract

Background: Most patients with irritable bowel syndrome (IBS) are managed in primary care. When first-line therapies for IBS are ineffective, the UK National Institute for Health and Care Excellence guideline suggests considering low- dose tricyclic antidepressants as second-line treatment, but their effectiveness in primary care is unknown, and they are infrequently prescribed in this setting.

Methods: This randomised, double-blind, placebo-controlled trial (Amitriptyline at Low-Dose and Titrated for Irritable Bowel Syndrome as Second-Line Treatment [ATLANTIS]) was conducted at 55 general practices in England. Eligible participants were aged 18 years or older, with Rome IV IBS of any subtype, and ongoing symptoms (IBS Severity Scoring System [IBS-SSS] score ≥75 points) despite dietary changes and first-line therapies, a normal full blood count and C-reactive protein, negative coeliac serology, and no evidence of suicidal ideation. Participants were randomly assigned (1:1) to low-dose oral amitriptyline (10 mg once daily) or placebo for 6 months, with dose titration over 3 weeks (up to 30 mg once daily), according to symptoms and tolerability. Participants, their general practitioners, investigators, and the analysis team were all masked to allocation throughout the trial. The primary outcome was the IBS-SSS score at 6 months. Effectiveness analyses were according to intention-to-treat; safety analyses were on all participants who took at least one dose of the trial medication. This trial is registered with the ISRCTN Registry (ISRCTN48075063) and is closed to new participants.

Findings: Between Oct 18, 2019, and April 11, 2022, 463 participants (mean age 48·5 years [SD 16·1], 315 [68%] female to 148 [32%] male) were randomly allocated to receive low-dose amitriptyline (232) or placebo (231). Intention-to-treat analysis of the primary outcome showed a significant difference in favour of low-dose amitriptyline in IBS-SSS score between groups at 6 months (-27·0, 95% CI -46·9 to -7·10; p=0·0079). 46 (20%) participants discontinued low-dose amitriptyline (30 [13%] due to adverse events), and 59 (26%) discontinued placebo (20 [9%] due to adverse events) before 6 months. There were five serious adverse reactions (two in the amitriptyline group and three in the placebo group), and five serious adverse events unrelated to trial medication.

Interpretation: To our knowledge, this is the largest trial of a tricyclic antidepressant in IBS ever conducted. Titrated low-dose amitriptyline was superior to placebo as a second-line treatment for IBS in primary care across multiple outcomes, and was safe and well tolerated. General practitioners should offer low-dose amitriptyline to patients with IBS whose symptoms do not improve with first-line therapies, with appropriate support to guide patient-led dose titration, such as the self-titration document developed for this trial.

Funding: National Institute for Health and Care Research Health Technology Assessment Programme (grant reference 16/162/01).

Informative thread by lead author:

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 27, 2023
    Hutan, shak8 and Sean like this.
  2. Dolphin

sebaaa, DokaGirl, EndME and 4 others like this.
  3. Wonko

Wonko Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Wouldn't the finding that an antidepressant had no effect on depression call the competency of everyone who's prescribed it, to treat depression, since the year dot, into question?

MeSci, sebaaa, alktipping and 6 others like this.
  4. LarsSG

LarsSG Senior Member (Voting Rights)

36% mean symptom improvement for the treatment arm versus 25% for the placebo isn't nothing, but it's not huge.

sebaaa, DokaGirl, Hutan and 5 others like this.
  5. Dolphin

On a quick skim, this seems to be based on the results at 6 months based on a pre-specified exploratory analysis:

Screenshot 2023-10-27 014934.png

Results at 12 months look a bit different:
    Screenshot 2023-10-27 014809.png

DokaGirl, EndME, Amw66 and 1 other person like this.
  6. NelliePledge

NelliePledge Moderator Staff Member

So they gave all those people amitryptiline with various potential side effects including sedative hangover and only 11% more than placebo perceived any benefit. How can that be cost effective.

7. Dolphin

gr3.jpg
    Figure 3
    Key secondary outcome of SGA of relief of IBS symptoms at 6 months
    SGA=subjective global assessment. IBS=irritable bowel syndrome. OR=odds ratio. HADS=Hospital Anxiety and Depression Scale. *All ORs were estimated using logistic regression adjusted for recruiting hub, IBS subtype, and HADS-depression score. Missing data were imputed via multiple imputation.

RedFox and DokaGirl like this.
  8. NelliePledge

NelliePledge Moderator Staff Member

Because tricyclics aren’t very effective for depression they seem to use them for pain, sleep obviously works for a bit cos of sedative effect. The CBT of medications - if stuck give amitryptiline a try. It makes it seem like they’re doing something useful.

RedFox, alktipping, DokaGirl and 5 others like this.
  9. Amw66

Amw66 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Mmm. Not much sleep tonight , so thoughts are a bit random .

Did they look at gut bacteria/ microbial balance prior ?
    Seratonin is made in gut and anti depressants can affect gut bacteria.

Estrogen degradation can be affected by gut bacteria , so if female, ( who were in majority here ) I don't know that adding serotonin into the mix would be a good idea ( I literally don't know , tagging @Midnattsol who may )
    Did titration account for menstrual cycles ?

Low dosage amitriptyline is used for many things though noone seems to know quite how it works - there seems to be the view that because it's a low dose it's safer . I don't know if there is any evidence for this .

What was the placebo used ?

alktipping likes this.
  10. Sid

Sid Senior Member (Voting Rights)

No because the homeopathic dose prescribed in this trial (10 mg) is 10x lower than what’s needed to achieve an antidepressant effect.

CRG, RedFox, alktipping and 3 others like this.
  11. Sid

Can’t really maintain blinding in placebo-controlled trials of tricyclics because they have such obvious characteristic side effects (dry mouth, drowsiness).

obeat, alktipping, DokaGirl and 5 others like this.
  12. Midnattsol

Midnattsol Moderator Staff Member

Not familiar with this but serotonin can influence gut motility which again can influence the microbiome so possible.

alktipping and shak8 like this.
  13. Dolphin

I know some people don’t like this and similar drugs but I’m happy I was offered it and believe it has helped me in a few different ways with my severe ME symptom complex:

Get 8.5-9 hours of a sleep a night (before trying it I was getting 5-6 hours a night; tried an SSRI and only got 4 hours a night)

Help with different types of pain:
    - headaches
    - IBS
    - TMJ
    - Muscle pain
    Also I think it made me less light- and sound-sensitive and has taken the edge of lower mood episodes. I was never clinically depressed but my mood could drop maybe particularly when in PEM.

I have tried amitryptline but slept a bit less on it (7.5-8 hours a night) and felt a bit more drowsy on it. I prefer trimipramine.

Last edited: Oct 27, 2023
    CRG, Sid, RedFox and 5 others like this.
  14. Arnie Pye

Arnie Pye Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I was prescribed Amitriptyline some years ago, and was started at 10mg, as far as I remember. It was prescribed for gut problems. It had to be increased up to 20mg - 25mg before I got any effect. It gave me a slight beneficial effect on pain, but also gave me one of the side effects listed in the Patient Information Leaflet. I got tachycardia, with a heart rate of 150, although it wasn't happening 24 hours a day. I had to come off the drug.

I was persuaded to go onto a different drug in the same family (Nortriptyline) which I was assured was far less likely to give me side effects. That was true to a small extent - my heart rate only rose to 135 beats per minute. *rolls eyes*

In the end my GP had to prescribe me real pain killers, which worked, and still do, several years later.

Sid, RedFox, Sean and 6 others like this.
  15. Jonathan Edwards

Jonathan Edwards Senior Member (Voting Rights)

This I see as the key problem here. I suspect most people can tell if they are taking 30mg of amitriptyline.

It also highlights the problems of 'dose-titration' studies where patients are specifically on the outlook for side-effects. I see this being a major problem for any attempt at a low dose naltrexone study. There may be ways to do this and retain blinding but I think it needs extraordinarily careful design.

FMMM1, CRG, sebaaa and 5 others like this.
  16. rvallee

rvallee Senior Member (Voting Rights)

What a terrible way to make decisions. I know I'm an outlier in finding clinical trials to be generally useless, unless they have obvious dramatic benefits, but I don't see how such results can lead to a positive recommendation. It's such a trivial benefit for such a high cost that doesn't even add any understanding of the condition. Especially given the mess of confusion over having an entire category of drugs called antidepressants that more often than not don't even affect so-called depression, which itself is defined generically and so superficially as to be functionally useless.

Progress at this pace is not working. IBS has been known for decades, is still largely misattributed as some psychosomatic something or another, and this here is the result of a large and expensive trial. This whole approach is not even a good temporary step, it keeps polluting the discipline with bad information and misleading claims.

Entire new paradigms need to be developed to replace this BS. I don't get the lack of recognition for how so obviously pointless it all is.

rachel76, Sean, alktipping and 2 others like this.
  17. Sean

Sean Moderator Staff Member

Dolphin likes this.
  18. Dolphin

RedFox and Sean like this.
  19. Sid

You could probably achieve better blinding in tricyclic trials with an anticholinergic antihistamine serving as the placebo but they never do it.

oldtimer likes this.
  20. Sean

Sean Moderator Staff Member

If you prefer a lower dose then it usually easy enough to cut tablets in half. Buy some empty gel capsules (enteric coated, white ones), and put half a tablet in one of them.

I have done that before when the correct dose tablet was temporarily unavailable.

Dolphin and Trish like this.