An immersive virtual reality-based object-location memory task reveals spatial long-term memory alterations in Long-COVID, 2024, Llana et al.

Discussion in 'Long Covid research' started by SNT Gatchaman, Jun 29, 2024 at 2:36 AM.

1. SNT Gatchaman

SNT Gatchaman Senior Member (Voting Rights)

An immersive virtual reality-based object-location memory task reveals spatial long-term memory alterations in Long-COVID
    Llana; Garces-Arilla; Juan; Mendez-Lopez; Mendez

Object-location memory (OLM) is a type of declarative memory for spatial information and consists of the individual’s ability to establish accurate associations between objects and their spatial locations. Long-COVID describes the long-term effects of the COVID-19 disease. Long-COVID patients show medial temporal lobe dysfunction and neuropsychological alterations affecting memory.

This study aimed to assess OLM in a group of Long-COVID patients, n=66, and a Control group of healthy individuals with similar age and sex composition, n=21, using an immersive virtual reality (iVR)-based OLM task. We also explored associations between the performance in the iVR-based OLM task and general cognitive function (MoCA), and both verbal (VSTM) and visuospatial (SSTM) span.

The Long-COVID group showed fewer correct responses, made more task attempts, and invested more time in the iVR-based OLM task than the Control group. Delayed memory was more severely altered than immediate memory in Long-COVID participants. Better MoCA scores of the Long-COVID group were strongly associated with shorter times to complete the immediate recall of the iVR-based OLM task. Besides, the months elapsed since the COVID-19 infection were slightly associated with fewer correct responses in the immediate and 24-hour recalls.

These results corroborate previous findings of memory alterations in the Long-COVID syndrome using an iVR-based OLM task, adding new evidence on spatial memory and long-term memory in this population. Implementing spatial iVR tasks to clinical research may improve our understanding of neuropsychological disorders.

Link | PDF (Behavioural Brain Research)

2. Hutan

Hutan Moderator Staff Member

but, but, where was their effort preference for being lazy? Oh, that was ME/CFS people.

Which reminds me, I'd like to see this research done with people lying down as well as after standing still for 5 minutes. I reckon it would make a difference.