1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 15th April 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

An umbrella review of the literature on the effectiveness of psychological interventions for pain reduction, 2017, Markozannes et al.

Discussion in 'Other psychosomatic news and research' started by Trish, Mar 15, 2022.

1. Trish

Trish Moderator Staff Member

An umbrella review of the literature on the effectiveness of psychological interventions for pain reduction

https://bmcpsychology.biomedcentral.com/articles/10.1186/s40359-017-0200-5

Abstract

Background
    Psychological interventions are widely implemented for pain management and treatment, but their reported effectiveness shows considerable variation and there is elevated likelihood for bias.

Methods
    We summarized the strength of evidence and extent of potential biases in the published literature of psychological interventions for pain treatment using a range of criteria, including the statistical significance of the random effects summary estimate and of the largest study of each meta-analysis, number of participants, 95% prediction intervals, between-study heterogeneity, small-study effects and excess significance bias.

Results
    Thirty-eight publications were identified, investigating 150 associations between several psychological interventions and 29 different types of pain. Of the 141 associations based on only randomized controlled trials, none presented strong or highly suggestive evidence by satisfying all the aforementioned criteria. The effect of psychological interventions on reducing cancer pain severity, pain in patients with arthritis, osteoarthritis, rheumatoid arthritis, breast cancer, fibromyalgia, irritable bowel syndrome, self-reported needle-related pain in children/adolescents or with chronic musculoskeletal pain, chronic non-headache pain and chronic pain in general were supported by suggestive evidence.

Conclusions
    The present findings reveal the lack of strong supporting empirical evidence for the effectiveness of psychological treatments for pain management and highlight the need to further evaluate the established approach of psychological interventions to ameliorate pain.

Michelle, shak8, alktipping and 10 others like this.
  2. Hutan

Hutan Moderator Staff Member

Nice find @Trish
    It's open access
    Umbrella review?

Michelle, alktipping, Lisa108 and 2 others like this.
  3. Trish

Crossposted with Hutan.

Just came across this study from 4 years ago, and thought it was interesting in the light of ongoing problems with studies of psychological treatments for subjectively assessed symptoms such as pain and fatigue.

The authors point to lots of problems with systematic reviews including small studies, marginal statistical significance, poor quality studies included, etc.

Michelle, alktipping, Lilas and 6 others like this.
  4. Arnie Pye

Arnie Pye Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I don't find this systematic review convincing. I don't mean in terms of the conclusions (which I have no opinion on), but in the fact that they appear to be using a design for the review which compares oranges, eggs, and porridge. I have similar reservations about other systematic reviews and meta analyses that I've come across. It seems to be a way of coming to conclusions while getting further and further away from the source of the original data.

And on another point - what is "needle-related pain" and how does it become chronic? Are we talking about Type 1 diabetics here? or children with needle phobia?

alktipping and Peter Trewhitt like this.
  5. Trish

My interest in this was not the individual outcomes in the systematic reviews they looked at but their recognition of the major flaws in all the systematic reviews. They were not drawing conclusions about particular therapies for particular pain conditions, but about the overall problem that none of the evidence really stood up to scrutiny for all sorts of reasons that systematic reviews tend to ignore.

Sean, alktipping, Hutan and 4 others like this.
  6. Arnie Pye

Arnie Pye Senior Member (Voting Rights)

@Trish

Sorry, I didn't mean to suggest that the paper shouldn't have been posted. I was grumbling about the very concept of a systematic review like this where conclusions are drawn from disparate papers about subject X, although I agree in this case that the conclusion could be beneficial to patients with many different conditions.

If I search for systematic reviews of statins, for example, I come across this absurd entry on DuckDuckGo :

upload_2022-3-15_16-11-30.png

This is the actual paper being referenced, for what it's worth, but it isn't really relevant to the point I'm making :

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/labs/pmc/articles/PMC7135196/

Sean, alktipping and Peter Trewhitt like this.