An Update on Neurological Disorders Post COVID-19 Infection Vol 2: cardiovascular effects, neuro-cardiac and neuro-respiratory autonomic dysfunctions

Discussion in 'Long Covid research' started by Sly Saint, Feb 1, 2023.

1. Sly Saint

Sly Saint Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Abstract Submission Deadline 21 March 2023
    Manuscript Submission Deadline 19 July 2023

Coronavirus disease 2019 (COVID-19) is caused by infection with severe acute respiratory syndrome coronavirus 2 (SARS-CoV-2). Individuals with previous Covid-19 may develop post-acute sequelae of SARS-CoV-2 infection (PASC).

Post-acute sequelae of SARS-CoV-2 infection (PASC) may involve multiple systems. Significant symptoms include “burden-fatigue”, "brain fog", exercise oversensitivity, post-exertional malaise, anxiety, sleep difficulties, and depression. PACS may become chronic and mimic myalgic encephalomyelitis/chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS). A recent hypothesis posits that a chronic state of multisystemic disequilibrium causes ME/CFS and PASC. The hypothesis suggests that there are multiple interconnections between the autonomic system, central nervous system, and brain stem. Up to now, this theoretical approach remains speculative, however, both in PASC and in ME/CFS, there are hemodynamic, cardiovascular, and autonomic abnormalities, for example, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome and orthostatic hypotension.

In neuro-PASC, a direct or indirect invasion of the virus into the brain may cause immune dysregulation, hormonal disorders, elevated cytokine levels due to immune reaction and chronic inflammation, direct tissue injury, or even persistent low-grade infection. For this reason, in this second volume of the Research topic, we solicit new submissions on neurologic, cardiac, and autonomic dysfunction in patients with PASC.

For this Research Topic Vol 2, we welcome submissions of Original Research, Reviews, and Meta-Analyses.

https://www.frontiersin.org/researc...2-cardiovascular-effects-neuro-cardi#articles

RedFox, Sean, Starlight and 2 others like this.