Anyone tried Lightning Process for Long Covid?

Discussion in 'Long Covid news' started by Jonathan Edwards, Apr 30, 2024.

1. Jonathan Edwards

Jonathan Edwards Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I am going to the BBC tomorrow to be interviewed about the Lightning Process and Long Covid. They want to know if I have talked to anyone who has had the Lightning Process for Long Covid. I don't think I have yet but if anyone here has tried the Lightning Pro9cess for Long Covid I would be very happy to talk to them before lunchtime tomorrow!!

And if anyone has talked to anyone about this I am interested to hear anything relevant.

Milo, forestglip, EzzieD and 31 others like this.
  2. Yann04

Yann04 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

That is really cool I hope it goes well :)

This is probably not what you’re looking for but I read someone’s testimony on pheonix rising a month or so ago who went through the lightning process. In case it is of any use to you: https://forums.phoenixrising.me/thr...g-lightning-process-mickel-therapy-etc.91669/

You might have more chance of finding someone to talk to if you make a post on a community such as r/cfs on reddit. A lot of people there try out more “psychosomatic”, and if I may allow myself, dodgy treatments.

Ash, EzzieD, bobbler and 10 others like this.
  3. RaviHVJ

RaviHVJ Senior Member (Voting Rights)

It's surprisingly difficult to find people who have done the lightning process, particularly in the more biomedically oriented circles as you have to be somewhat "vetted" to do it.

Ash, EzzieD, MEMarge and 10 others like this.
  4. Trish

Trish Moderator Staff Member

5. Jonathan Edwards

Thanks Trish.
    It is the same lot of journalists.
    I am not even sure that anyone with Long Covid has tried LP but that seems to be the topic of interest.

Nevertheless, reminding me of all th stuff we have processed is useful - and particularly the PR screenshots @yannlk !

Ash, EzzieD, FMMM1 and 8 others like this.
  6. Jonathan Edwards

The bottom line for me is that LP is unethical an probably illegal because it explicitly violates informed consent. The patients are not informed of what is known but of fairy stories. The wider issue of course is that this is going on in routine NHS and other healthcare clinics where patients are told the same fairly stories by psychotherapists and physiotherapists.

Milo, Ash, EzzieD and 22 others like this.
  7. Maat

Maat Senior Member (Voting Rights)

8. Maat

JohnTheJack, Ash, bobbler and 5 others like this.
  9. Maat

10. MrMagoo

MrMagoo Senior Member (Voting Rights)

No help for you, but where can we watch!?!?
    I’ll send you extra good vibes if you can say that it’s like Ear Seeds in terms of validated scientific research outcomes/s

Ash, EzzieD, bobbler and 5 others like this.
  11. Maat

Ash, MEMarge, Peter Trewhitt and 3 others like this.
  12. Trish

13. sneyz

sneyz Established Member (Voting Rights)

This might be of interest to you:

https://twitter.com/user/status/1785339799538176072

Added google translate:
    “Super exciting meeting with the BBC today. They wanted to know more about the different country Norway and the Norwegian health authorities' connection to alternative treatment for #LongCovid. We had a lot to say about networks between @Folkehelseinst, @Oslounivsykehus, @Ahus_no and alternative treatment providers.”

Ash, EzzieD, bobbler and 6 others like this.
  14. Trish

I can't tell from that whether they are recommending LP or arguing against it's use in Norway. Any idea?

bobbler, MEMarge, JohnTheJack and 4 others like this.
  15. Lou B Lou

Lou B Lou Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I learned the techniques of Lightning Process (LP) many years before the inventor of Lightning Process (Phil Parker) did .... from NLP/mindmethod courses in the 1980s (though not in the context of curing disabling diseases).

Lightning Process is a bog standard coaching/NLP course, but taken to the level of an Obedience Training.

I recognised all the NLP tricks from the LP advertising and the application forms. I had examined and critiqued Lightning Process since 2005ish, to warn other ME sufferers to avoid being conned.

Not even Richard Bandler (one of the 2 inventors of NLP) would have had the nerve to claim to cure disabling illnesses by shouting "Stop" at the symptoms. 'Recover with' is just NLP-speak for cure.

This is a good description of Lightning Process from a person with ME who did it. Joan McParland describes the psychological manipulations of Lightning Process that led her to insist she was well/recovered long after her family were clear that she was still very, very sick and not recovered at all.

Joan McParland interview: “I have been conned” - When sick patients are sold psychological snake oil

'In the 3 day program, Joan and the other participants were told not to share anything about how the lightning process works with anyone else, or talk to each other about the lightning process, and to only talk about themselves in positive, healthy language and to tell people they were cured --- some people even had to sign contracts with those constraints.

But Joan is not one to be complicit in promoting self-blaming brainwashing and is telling the truth about what secretly happens in the costly lightning process.

It works basically like this: you stand on a piece of paper that has ‘stop - I have a choice’ written on it. Then you say that aloud.

Two arrows point to your choices.

One arrow points to a piece of paper that has ‘the pit’ written on it. This represents your symptoms and illness.

The other arrow points to a piece of paper that has ‘the life I want to lead’ written on it.

You choose which piece of paper you want to stand on and say that aloud.

That’s it -- you do that repeatedly and it will cure you.

Doing a little bit of googling and it turns out both the British Advertising Standards and the Nordic Consumer Ombudsman have ruled against the lighting process for making false claims on its website.'

https://medicalerrorinterviews.podb...ck-patients-are-sold-psychological-snake-oil/

Last edited: May 1, 2024
    Ash, EzzieD, DigitalDrifter and 11 others like this.
  16. Maat

Patients being treated with a therapy are protected by the Health and Social Care Act 2008 (Regulated Activities) Regulations 2014 which is enforced by the CQC. These not only include human rights protection, but also cover the procedure to be followed by HCP when harm has occurred. Regulations for service providers and managers - Care Quality Commission (cqc.org.uk)

Patient's who go to him direct (or in PPs case his customers) are not protected, because he is not considered a service provider. Regulations for service providers and managers - Care Quality Commission (cqc.org.uk)

Ash, EzzieD, bobbler and 6 others like this.
  17. sneyz

sneyz Established Member (Voting Rights)

Sorry, should have provided some more context. She is a patient advocate for Long Covid patients. She’s aligned with the Norwegian ME association (ME foreningen) for all practical purposes.

So warning against LP and it’s role in the Norwegian healthcare system.

Ash, EzzieD, bobbler and 10 others like this.
  18. Lou B Lou

Lou B Lou Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Ash, EzzieD, bobbler and 7 others like this.
  19. Maat

Ash, bobbler, MrMagoo and 4 others like this.
  20. wingate

wingate Senior Member (Voting Rights)

yes, please!

Ash and Peter Trewhitt like this.