Anyone who lost taste/smell as a result of Covid - Have you improved?

Discussion in 'Epidemics (including Covid-19, not Long Covid)' started by Arnie Pye, Aug 6, 2023.

1. Arnie Pye

Arnie Pye Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I had Covid in November 2021. I lost my senses of smell and taste completely during the acute stage, and during the following 2 or 3 months there was some limited improvement.

Then I got Covid again earlier this year (Easter) and the improvement in my ability to taste and smell was knocked back again. It has improved since then, but again it has been limited.

The worst thing from my point of view is that some foods I've been eating all my life just don't taste the same any more. I like eggs - or I used to. I had scrambled eggs on toast for breakfast today, and as usual they just don't taste the way they used to. They aren't revolting - but they just aren't as nice as they used to be. I have the same experience with quite a lot of foods.

I was wondering what degree of improvement other people had had if they lost taste and smell thanks to Covid?

alktipping, Hutan, shak8 and 4 others like this.
  2. MeSci

MeSci Senior Member (Voting Rights)

alktipping, shak8, EndME and 2 others like this.
  3. EndME

EndME Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I completely lost both smell and taste during my first Covid infection. The loss was really insane and I couldn't taste (water tasted exactly like Vodka, regarding scrambled eggs that was one of the most digusting things to eat whilst not being able to taste anything since the only sense of food becomes texture) or smell anything. I didn't smell or taste anything for 2 months. My taste then slowly started coming back and a little later my smell as well, which however took roughly 1.5 years to recover and there were many things that smelled differently during that time, respectively I developed some new weird smell associations that went away again. Both of them came back fully eventually, or at least so I would believe.

The next 2 Covid infections had no effect on smell or taste whatsoever. It seems to be very variant dependent.

alktipping, MeSci, shak8 and 2 others like this.
  4. EndME

EndME Senior Member (Voting Rights)

5. Pilk

Pilk Established Member

I lost my sense of smell at about day 5 of the infection, after the worst of the other symptoms was over. I think it lasted 3 or 4 weeks after which I returned to full olfactory capacity.

I will never take my sense of smell for granted again.

alktipping, MeSci, shak8 and 2 others like this.
  6. Arnie Pye

Arnie Pye Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I must admit I thought I might get my taste and smell back eventually after the first bout of Covid (which was severe), but it seems to me that my second bout of Covid knocked me back a lot and any recovery this time seems to be very slight.

I did read a little while ago about a woman who lost her sense of smell thanks to Covid and put a lot of effort into re-introducing as many smells as she could every day and made sure to smell them a lot. She thought her sense of smell had mostly recovered.

Based on the responses to this thread so far it seems likely that improvement is a matter of luck. Maybe I should expect it to take another year or two. *Sigh*

I actually have more confidence in the idea that my sense of smell might return eventually. I'm really not very confident about my sense of taste.

7. ukxmrv

ukxmrv Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I still have the 'everything tastes different' effect from Covid. It's been 20 months since my last positive Covid test.

Spices in particular brown ones made me feel sick If I even see them in a container now.